1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Need advice on Android app for Mini PC

I'm hoping someone with Android knowledge can shed some light on this for me.

I want to design a program that will run on an Android Mini PC. It'll be connected to any monitor so that when the monitor is turned on, it'll power up the android mini pc via USB and then the program will start automatically and display on the monitor. The program itself is a visual acuity chart (like at your eye doctor's office). So it will run all day as you use a remote to flip through the images.

Sound easy? I'm trying to figure out if Android or Raspberry Pi would be best for this.

thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Building the app sounds easy, yes. Having it power-up automatically when a monitor is turned out sounds potentially impossible.
    Last edited by E-Oreo; March 11th, 2013 at 07:45 PM.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    Building the app sounds easy, yes. Having it power-up automatically when a monitor is turned out sounds potentially impossible.
    I should have stated this earlier - the program would require a monitor with USB port. When the monitor is turned on, the USB port is powered, then the Android Mini PC starts up, the program would be set to run full screen at startup.

Possible?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It's physically possible, but not all hardware will support powering-on from USB. It's not something you can do from software alone.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo