1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Some basic questions from someone with no experience

Hi guys,

I'm working on an app design and I'm used to having to figure these things out on my own but there's a couple things I haven't found any answers for (maybe because I shouldn't even need to ask haha).

Here goes, so when I upload my app to the google play store it isn't self contained, it is a multiplayer game app. Where do I host the user data and the data for ongoing games? is that hosted on google? Is that something that is some sort of SQL database that only special hosting companies provide?

This game is very text based so would I have an easier time with creating and saving user data and current games (which will mostly consist of people replying back and forth) if I go with some sort of forum design or does that matter?

Also, are there any resources you can recommend to me for this project? I'm starting from scratch and I think I can design the interface ok but the back end stuff to call on server data and user accounts I have no clue where to start so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Is there any visual app editor you guys know of? I have found something but it's in beta.

Thanks for any tips guys, I found some great help here when I worked on my first website so I'm looking forward to this new project.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You host the data yourself. Most applications that need to communicate do so through a custom API of some type. You could host the data with Google, through something like Google App Engine, but that has no specific ties to Android.

I'm not really sure what you mean by a forum design and I'm not sure on the other questions.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

So I have to have sort of server setup at home to host user login data and game details for each game?

By forum design I meant that this game is mostly text based and people will be talking back and forth so if it's easier to use some sort of premade forum app design I could look into that.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo