1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Installing 1st app without adb

I canít afford cell phone service more than Tracfone for my used HTC Hero, so Iíd just like to use the HTC to run apk apps. I understand I need to get some kind of apk installer on the HTC. However, not having a phone-Internet connection, I have to install (including my first app, an apk installer) from my SD card or via USB. Iíve read I can do that with the Windows adb program, but to get at that progran I read I have to install over two gigs of Eclipse (whatever that is), SDK, Java itself, and then the Java updates. Is there no other way I can accomplish this? Would flashing my HTC with a different ROM give me a way to accomplish this? Would that easier than the Java/Eclipse/SDK route? I would really appreciate ANY suggestions you may have.

Thank you
    Trish

P.S. In case it wasn't obvious, I'm 100% Android newbie.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Nah you don't need Eclipse and all that to install APKs. You will need to probably install the Android SDK, though, if the files are not coming from the actual Store.

I am too new of a member to post links, but if you Google "how to install apk", the first link should get you going in the right direction. Feel free to reach out if you need help. Luckily once you get the Android ADB tool installed, it's really a breeze (I've never had an issue installing and uninstalling APK's using it).
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank you, Blastport, but I'm learning my situation is more dire. Most approaches assume you have access to the Android Market (but I have no phone service) and/or root access to the Hero and/or HTC Sync / installer /file manager). I have none of those. I was holding out hope that, at least, I could use HTCís procedure of upgrading the ROM thru the SD Card (by using the Power and Volume buttons, and renaming cyanogenmod.zip to HEROIMG.ZIP. But I just read that that method was valid for Android 1.5 but not my 2.1. So, unable to get interesting apps on it through rooting and then file management and installing, etc. this Hero seems kinda bricked to me. I'm hoping someone might have some more ideas I can try.

Thanks again,

Trish
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by pmconway
    Thank you, Blastport, but I'm learning my situation is more dire. Most approaches assume you have access to the Android Market (but I have no phone service) and/or root access to the Hero and/or HTC Sync / installer /file manager). I have none of those. I was holding out hope that, at least, I could use HTCís procedure of upgrading the ROM thru the SD Card (by using the Power and Volume buttons, and renaming cyanogenmod.zip to HEROIMG.ZIP. But I just read that that method was valid for Android 1.5 but not my 2.1. So, unable to get interesting apps on it through rooting and then file management and installing, etc. this Hero seems kinda bricked to me. I'm hoping someone might have some more ideas I can try.

Thanks again,

Trish
    Hmm interesting. I have actually heard of the ability to boot in recovery mode and then to install apps or firmware files by loading from the SD card or specific spots on the filesystem. But I think you'd need access to the file system to do even that. That being said, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a way at least to have some kind of naming convention on the SD card files such that it will pick up the APK(s) and install automatically. Let me dig around a bit to see what I can find.
  9. No Profile Picture

That'd be great. Thank you so much.

Trish

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo