#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Please help with a PNG sequence animation! Any help appreciated.


    Hi and thanks in advance for any help you can offer me.

    I’m having an app developed that includes 6 PNG sequence animations with associated sound files, running at 24 frames per second.

    Each animation is about 5MB in memory and the rest of the app is about 10MB.

    The problem we have is that we keep running out of memory on the galaxy tab and the only solutions appear to be removing images from the sequence or reducing the quality of the images to a point where they’re almost unrecognisable.

    Can anyone offer any advice on how we can best deal with PNG sequence animations and memory?

    Considering some of the high end apps out there for big name games, I wouldn’t have thought this would be a problem. Are we asking too much of the galaxy tab?

    Is there some solution we could implement that loads and then unloads images to preserve memory without making animations laggy perhaps? Any other advice?

    Many thanks for your advice and help.

    Ana
  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    reduce image size and convert image formats into smaller ones


    Originally Posted by anasttin
    Hi and thanks in advance for any help you can offer me.

    I’m having an app developed that includes 6 PNG sequence animations with associated sound files, running at 24 frames per second.

    Each animation is about 5MB in memory and the rest of the app is about 10MB.

    The problem we have is that we keep running out of memory on the galaxy tab and the only solutions appear to be removing images from the sequence or reducing the quality of the images to a point where they’re almost unrecognisable.

    Can anyone offer any advice on how we can best deal with PNG sequence animations and memory?

    Considering some of the high end apps out there for big name games, I wouldn’t have thought this would be a problem. Are we asking too much of the galaxy tab?

    Is there some solution we could implement that loads and then unloads images to preserve memory without making animations laggy perhaps? Any other advice?

    Many thanks for your advice and help.

    Ana
    each image should not be of 5 MB - convert and save in other format (smaller size). Also question here - what game engine you are currently using?
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Hi and thanks


    Originally Posted by WDGJAZ
    each image should not be of 5 MB - convert and save in other format (smaller size). Also question here - what game engine you are currently using?
    I must have been a bit unclear in my posting. Each image in the PNG animation is less than 50kb but in total (with sound), they are no larger than 5MB.

    I can't reduce the image quality any further or it just looks terrible.

    Any other ideas you might have would be greatly appreciated.

    Ana
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by anasttin
    I must have been a bit unclear in my posting. Each image in the PNG animation is less than 50kb but in total (with sound), they are no larger than 5MB.

    I can't reduce the image quality any further or it just looks terrible.

    Any other ideas you might have would be greatly appreciated.

    Ana
    Hi, Ana,

    Developer told me that he needs to see the code to answer what's wrong. (also - do you use Unity engine or Open GL? )

    We can perform code review on paid basis. please send more details via personal message board here, and we would be glad to help.

    Happy to chat,

    Jen Zorina


    WDG

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo