1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

A way for non programmers to send push notifications?

I'm a web designer who developed an android app for a client with the help of an android developer. Is there an easy way for my client, who knows no code, to send push notifications? I was hoping for a simple app or website where he could load his contacts who've downloaded his app, then create a push message, then choose who among his contacts to send it to? Does such a thing exist? Thank you for any feedback.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by cgl102770
    I'm a web designer who developed an android app for a client with the help of an android developer. Is there an easy way for my client, who knows no code, to send push notifications? I was hoping for a simple app or website where he could load his contacts who've downloaded his app, then create a push message, then choose who among his contacts to send it to? Does such a thing exist? Thank you for any feedback.
    Absolutely. However, it's not as simple as that, as you will still have to do some setup on the code side of things, as well as some setup on the server-side. However, it's pretty simple with the 3rd-party tools available nowadays.

Check out the following products to help with this kind of thing. I've tried most of these, and they all seem viable, depending on your needs:

- Parse
    - Urban Airship
    - Push Wizard
    - Push Layer
    - Xtify

Let me know if you need help setting any of these up. Typically it just involves signing up for an account, then setting up an app on the website. Then you integrate the SDK into your app code, and you're done.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank you for the reply. I had hired a programmer to help with that part, and they recommended urbanairship.com. Theyve been hard to get a hold of though, and the urban airship set up seemed over my head. I guess if there was a way to automate it further for the non programmer, then urban airship would have already done that. I may need (paid) help with this, what would the next step be?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank you for the reply. I had hired a programmer to help with that part, and they recommended urbanairship.com. Theyve been hard to get a hold of though, and the urban airship set up seemed over my head. I guess if there was a way to automate it further for the non programmer, then urban airship would have already done that. I may need (paid) help with this, what would the next step be?
    This is pretty easy for a developer to do if you have the source code available. It's a matter of importing a JAR file in the project and implementing a few lines of code. Then the rest can be handled on the server/site side.

Is this app already live and in the Google Play store? Do you have the source code available and the info to login to the Gmail account to upload a new version of the app (assuming you want it live on the store, if it's not already)? I'd be glad to help with this if I can, no charge necessary of course.

I personally have only implemented Urban Airship on the iOS side of things, but I've looked over their documentation for Android (and I've done a lot of Android development work), and it really doesn't seem too bad at all; actually a lot easier than the iOS implementation, ha.
  9. No Profile Picture

That's extremely kind of you to offer, I'd insist on repaying you in some way. I'm a graphic designer in my day job and would be more than happy to design a logo, business card, etc for you in return. I tried to pm you but it said I didn't have permission to do so.

The app is live in the google and itunes stores, I have logins for the accounts though do not have the source code at the moment (it shouldnt be too difficult to get that though).
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

That's extremely kind of you to offer, I'd insist on repaying you in some way. I'm a graphic designer in my day job and would be more than happy to design a logo, business card, etc for you in return. I tried to pm you but it said I didn't have permission to do so.

The app is live in the google and itunes stores, I have logins for the accounts though do not have the source code at the moment (it shouldnt be too difficult to get that though).
    I appreciate that offer, and we are definitely always needing some small design work here and there with creating small graphics cuts for our website, etc. So that may work out great as an arrangement! Thanks again for offering that.

And yep, if you can get the source code, we can get started on this ASAP. In the meantime, I would go ahead and signup for an Urban Airship account on the site if you haven't already, and you can create your Android app out there to prepare it. Once you get the source code, we can chat about the first steps there in getting it integrated.

Thanks, and looking forward to working with you!
    -Vincent
  13. No Profile Picture

In addition to the providers mentioned above you could also take a look at Backendless. Their Push Notification API is very simple to use.
  15. No Profile Picture

Hi Vincent - It took a little while but I was able to get the log in info, if you are still open to that, how should I get that to you? Thank you - Chris
  17. No Profile Picture

It's actually pretty simple to create a website or even an android app for it.
    As long as you have the database of the users with their GCM tokens, then it's actually pretty easy.
    As on the client side, all you need to do is basically set the title and message and select the users. While on the server side, you just handle the request and send it to the GCM servers.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo