1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

A question to the devs

So, I'm in the process of designing an android app, and as I'm not adept at finding things i the API yet, I have a question to ask o all you android devs out there.
    Is there a line of code that will send a text to a phone number from the phone's default texting service? Is it possible?

This is what i mean. Say I have a Motorola droid on Verizon with a texting plan, and (in the program) a string. and I click a button in my program that says 'text'. Is there any way to get the device to text the String using Verizon's data plans? Like, a legal, normal text, just sent from an external program. Can anyone tell me that?

Thank you, and sorry for my verbosity.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by pipsqueaker117
    So, I'm in the process of designing an android app, and as I'm not adept at finding things i the API yet, I have a question to ask o all you android devs out there.
    Is there a line of code that will send a text to a phone number from the phone's default texting service? Is it possible?

This is what i mean. Say I have a Motorola droid on Verizon with a texting plan, and (in the program) a string. and I click a button in my program that says 'text'. Is there any way to get the device to text the String using Verizon's data plans? Like, a legal, normal text, just sent from an external program. Can anyone tell me that?

Thank you, and sorry for my verbosity.
    I've personally never done this before, but a quick google turned up a class called SmsManager.

Probably a good place to start:
    http://developer.android.com/reference/android/telephony/SmsManager.html#sendTextMessage(java.lang.String,%20java.lang.String,%20java.lang.String,%20android. app.PendingIntent,%20android.app.PendingIntent)

Edit: just found a great example: http://mobiforge.com/developing/story/sms-messaging-android?dm_switcher=true

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo