1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

A survey on mobile software productivity

Hi all,

I hope my post find you all well. I am an engineer working in mobile industry. I worked in three platforms: Maemo, Symbian, Windows. I hope I could be of your assistance in the forum.

I have created a survey to collect information on the usage of social networking tools for my master thesis at Open University on technology for communication and collaboration in software development teams.

I am looking for respondents who are using social networking tools to communicate at work preferably in mobile software development. Your answers will help increase our understanding of whether social networking tools help improve software productivity in mobile software development teams or not.

if you would like to participate, please put the following link to your browser and replace "," with ":":

http,//fluidsurveys.com/surveys/wangc-2011/thesis-survey/

then take the survey. Otherwise, have a nice time!

Cheers

Chenfu
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Why are you working in the three LEAST popular mobile operating systems? By marketshare, it's Android, Apple, Blackberry, THEN your three.

Either way, I do dev work and we have social networks/tools/whatever that we're supposed to use. We rarely do. IM and email are our most common methods of communication, though we have google hangouts, skype, yammer, etc.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. No Profile Picture

Yes, I agree. I am migrating to those popular ones as you mentioned. Some of the three I worked on used to be popular. I am focusing on HTML5 on mobiles recently.

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    Why are you working in the three LEAST popular mobile operating systems? By marketshare, it's Android, Apple, Blackberry, THEN your three.

Either way, I do dev work and we have social networks/tools/whatever that we're supposed to use. We rarely do. IM and email are our most common methods of communication, though we have google hangouts, skype, yammer, etc.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

As long as your survey doesn't contain any advertising we usually allow links to surveys that are for educational purposes. Just replace the dots in the URL with commas.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  9. Sarcky

Based on the initial post I thought my reply would qualify as a survey response.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    As long as your survey doesn't contain any advertising we usually allow links to surveys that are for educational purposes. Just replace the dots in the URL with commas.
    Thanks for your reply and support. My survey has no embedded ads. Thus, I updated my post with the link
  13. No Profile Picture

Based on the initial post I thought my reply would qualify as a survey response.
    Your response shows that social networking tools are entering software engineering process. Besides that, my research tends to collect evidence to prove or disprove if the usage of those tools has positive impact on software productivity particularly in mobile software development.

My survey will last about two months and I will later organize structured reviews which will complement what missed in my survey and possibly explore a bit further on some of the popular use cases. I will send out interview invitation in September-October time frame.
  15. No Profile Picture

The practical problem

Communication and collaboration have become the productivity bottleneck of mobile software development. One major internal reason is that there are many stakeholders such as equipment suppliers, network operators, and national standard regulators. Those different stakeholders may have different requirements and interests for the final software product, which needs a lot of communication to coordinate and balance. The other major external reason is that companies opt to outsource the software to offshoring countries, which results in more resources needing to be invested in cooperation and communication among virtual teams. Some in the industry are saying that the newly emerged SNT may be the silver-bullet to this productivity problem.
  17. No Profile Picture

My post isn't getting attraction. Is it possible that forum admin could help me move it to android developers' forum? I'm having a risk of low response rate to my survey. Help! Help!
  19. Sarcky

Thread moved. You probably won't get many responses though. Nobody likes taking questionnaires.

21. No Profile Picture

Thread moved. You probably won't get many responses though. Nobody likes taking questionnaires.
    Thanks!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo