Thread: 100% CPU Usage?

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

100% CPU Usage?

Hi everyone, Im having a bit of a problem/annoyance...
    For the past 3-4 days my computer has been running at 100% CPU Usage no matter what I do. As soon as I log on (or anyone else on my computer) the fan starts up like crazy and everything just goes really slow. I also have 55 processes that are running all the time and I would like to know how to make some of them not startup on logon. But Ive never had a problem with having all those processes running, the computer would still go perfectly fine.
    One thing I thought is that its the heat from this room; there are no fans in here and only 2 AC ducts (this room is fairly big), and its been like 85-90 degrees the past few days. So I thought it was just getting really hot. But then why would I be using all the CPU power?
    Any help would be appreciated, this is very annoying as I would just like to sit down and do stuff on the computer, but I cant becuase it decides to go really slow and then freeze sometimes.
    I have defrag'd the computer 2 days ago (if that helps), however, I dont know if my dad let it finish defragging cuz I left the house with it doing its thing and then I got back 15 minutes later and I was logged off and he was on. So idk if it finished.
    Again, any help would be appreciated.
    Peace all

ps Im sorry if this is in the incorrect forum, I figured my problem was CPU related so I decided to post here.

EDIT: Also (if this makes any difference), I do not think it is my internet provider that is making things slow. I was at my friend's house yesterday and he has the same internet provider (charter), and his computer was running fine...and hes got like a bunch of spyware and adware on that machine =P
  3. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

On first thoughts, to me this sounds like you have been infected with something. To start with, can you download, update the definitions and run Spybot S & D, Ad-Aware and Trojan Hunter. Also, can you run a thorough AV scan. If you don't currently have any anti-virus software installed, I recommend AVG Free which has good detection rates and is free !

After you have scanned your machine with the above programs, can you also download HijackThis and post the log it produces on here for us to look at.

If you could invest in a small desk fan and have it pointing at the case, then that would cool things down a little but I don't believe this to be your problem.

I'm moving this thread from CPU Help to Anti-Virus help as I think that's where the problem lies - however, if it turns out to be hardware related, I shall then move it onto the appropriate forum. Any issues with this, then don't hesitate to PM me.
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  5. No Profile Picture

I did some searching online, and I think I may be infected with Flood.F Trojan which in the process tree shows up as smss.exe. Im doing a virus scan and downloaded Spybot S&D and will run that when its done. I updated my computer, though, it didnt have any real updates; just an update so I can use the updater =P Silly Windows
    Thank you very much for your help, and dont worry about moving my topic, I really didnt know what to make of this but I guess its turned out to be a virus.
    Peace
  7. No Profile Picture

Well, after a thorough scan of our computer with McAfee, Trojan Hunter, and Spybot, I managed to delete a few little things of adware and malware that we had. But none of that solved my problem! But when my dad came home yesterday, he said the problem lies within our antivirus software McAfee (go figure). MSKSrvr.exe, McAfee's Spam Killer protection is the process that has been screwing up and eating up all our CPU power. For now we're just stopping this process when we log on, but later we'll uninstall and reinstall our antivirus software to see if it will fix it.
    Thanks for all your help man!
    =D

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo