1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What do the anti-virus definitions mean?

Hey Guys!

I've been thinking about this for quite a long time. Whenever I used an Anti-Virus Software such as, McAfee, AVG Internet Security, etc. When it found a malicious program is used Malicious-File Definitions such as: Win32/Sality, Win32/Virut, Worm/AutoRun, Win32/Zbot.G, VBS/Heur. But I don't know what any of these mean. Can you guys tell me more about malicious files?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

The name is one given to what the AV people consider an 'infection', and seems to be based on the enviroment (Win32 being somethign that needs Windows 32 bit (but will work in 64 bit too), and VBS probably being a form of Visual Basic), followed by a name based on either something inside the file or based on the overall mechanism used to infect - hence getting numbered occurences of things.
    What they actually are is best looked at on the AV software site to see what they have to say about them.
    The moon on the one hand, the dawn on the other:
    The moon is my sister, the dawn is my brother.
    The moon on my left and the dawn on my right.
    My brother, good morning: my sister, good night.
    -- Hilaire Belloc
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by SimonJM
    The name is one given to what the AV people consider an 'infection', and seems to be based on the enviroment (Win32 being somethign that needs Windows 32 bit (but will work in 64 bit too), and VBS probably being a form of Visual Basic), followed by a name based on either something inside the file or based on the overall mechanism used to infect - hence getting numbered occurences of things.
    What they actually are is best looked at on the AV software site to see what they have to say about them.
    Thanks for the reply.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo