1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Anti-virus for malicious websites/URL detection

Hi
    I need a desktop solution for detection of malicious websites/URL. I have tried to Google it, but have not found any. There are web-based solutions but i want a desktop solution. Is there any anti-virus that provide such functionality.

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Stumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

url filtering is included in many antivirus and antimalware tools. Spybot is one free one. Norton AV, Eset, and probably more antivirus products include url blocking. I think Microsoft Security Essentials does too.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    It is a truism of American politics that no man who can win an election deserves to. --Trevanian, from the novel Shibumi
  5. No Profile Picture

Anti-virus for malicious websites/URL detection

Are you trying to scan online? It is not possible my friend. You can search a tool on Google but for best protection you need to buy a license version of antivirus. There are many different tools and antivirus available on Google but I must suggest you to buy Quick heal Total security antivirus. It contains all the features like web protection, email protection. spam protection, data security protection. But for this features you need to buy it. If you use a free tool it will not able to give a complete protection for your computer.
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks a lot Dough and CharlesMartin for your feedback.

There are lot of AVs that provide internet security. But they don't give me any control over what they are scanning.

What i need is, an AV (or a desktop utility) that takes a URL from me (I can give a URL as input) and tells if the URL is safe or not. There are many web based solutions but I need this functionality in a desktop application. And if some AV provides this functionality, I am willing to purchase the license.

Thanks again
    Descent
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Here is a free one from McAfee
    it's not a scanner but may do what you want. Our company uses it as a first line of defence to keep users from going to bad known sites.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/howitworks/index.html
  11. No Profile Picture

Site adviser is an installer but at the end, its an add on for the browser. This is not what i need. Some one, please suggest me some alternative.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

AVG Linkscanner has its own GUI if you dont want to use a plug in or toolbar.

http://linkscanner.avg.com/
  15. No Profile Picture

Thanks a lot Sporky. That is really helpful.

Thanks again.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo