1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Antivirus as good as AVG internet security or better?

I have AVG Internet Security and I really like the virus protection, but it blocks all my programs from connecting to the internet, even though they are allowed. What else out there is just as good/better? I'm looking for something that does the job and is not a system hog. I don't mind spending some money.
  3. No Profile Picture

Do you have your own license ?
    I think it's ompossible that AGV blocks all programms. May be you did somethong wrong.

If you have license did you write to support ?
  5. They're coming to take me away

Most Internet Security software has a feature that will disable all connections to the internet. I think it may be listed as "Emergency Mode" with AVG... Either way, if it's blocking everything, then a setting was changed at some point to do just this.

Regardless of the Internet Security you go with, you could run into the same problem. Would be better to figure out what happened or how to undo the change rather than just looking for a new security suite every time your system gets locked down.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  7. No Profile Picture

Smile

I think kaspersky or bit defender would be the best choice at the moment. Bit Defender uses the lowest amount of system resources out of all the top antivirus products.
  9. Contributing User

I have been using cyberdefender

I have been using Cyberdefender EDC antivirus software. I got it about 2 months ago when I got something called the virtumondo virus. They have a free trial but it only finds the problems, which my computer had many. It was about $40 to get the full version, which is about what it costs for others. Anyway, it fixed some of the issues but not all. It comes with a 24 x 7 call center, which I called and they were really helpful and told me that since I installed the software after I got the virus that they would need to fix it by remote access. 5 minutes later it was done and the system was clean. It easy to use and I am happy with it, but it seems better for non-technical users like me.
  11. No Profile Picture

I'm also using AVG the free version and I find it effective as long as you update it regularly.

And also, stay away with downloading unfamiliar things. So that you can totally protect your computer!
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I've recently had issues with AVG and have switched to Trustport and/or Avast. They seem to catch more drive-by download type of exploits.

I check out http://www.av-comparatives.org/ anytime I have to buy new AV/Security software. They do very good testing.

Also I keep Malware bytes and Spybot Search and Destroy handy as backups.
  15. No Profile Picture

AVG is best Anti virus software for PC Security I use this product and found no error or any other issue
  17. No Profile Picture

Kaspersky

use kaspersky for better result.
  19. Contributing User

If you referring to free software:

I did use AVG Free in the past, uses low resources, works quietly in the background, automatic updates. But I noticed the free version doesn't protect against rootkits. But I believe the 2011 Free version does have rootkit protection now, haven't tried it yet.

Comodo Free Antivirus + Firewall is worth it. Includes a firewall and has sandboxing technology. Only thing, it will have a lot of pop ups (firewall) if set to max HIPS protection. May be bothersome to people.

Microsoft Security Essentials is another recommended software. Free, quiet and uses low resources. One negative, is that the full scan does take quite a while to complete. But it is much better than the old Windows Defender software.

For paid - I like Defense Wall ($30 one time price).
    Full sandboxing technology.

This is only my personal preference.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Its not related to antivirus part. Its Firewall part of AVG which prevent programs from connecting to the internet. You can change the settings of Firewall part to solve your problem.
    Website Value Calculator
    Dofollow Social Bookmarking
  23. No Profile Picture

give avast a go if you can. It is pretty good
  25. No Profile Picture

Hi try using Nod32. Its filters and the real time protection are simply splendid. Trojans, worms, spy programs, rootkits, adware and virus are immediately detected when they attempt to infect your PC.
    Last edited by hiker; May 13th, 2011 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Removed spam

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo