1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Are Antivirus providers trustworthy

I have subscribed to Computer Associates Internet security suite for several years now,most of my experience has been good and I was satisfied.
    I always keep my software up to date and do scans on a regular basis... but.....
    despite full time protection of email, downloads, websites, etc, my computer was infected with a rogue antivirus ie: Windows Antivirus 2012. I was unable to use the internet, was locked out of regedit, and warnings about infected hard drive, passwords, bank information continuously popped up and asked me to install anti virus removal tools.
    I cannot understand how with an antivirus program running, did I get infected ?
    Is it at all possible that the company (CA) sent the virus to infect my computer? since the software does have complete control of what it can access!
    Out of desperation, I called CA to complain and to see if they could help.... after all I had paid for protection and it did not work properly. After reaching a 'tech' person in INDIA, they set up a remote control of my computer. They looked at some logs, and entries in the registry, and then came the "BOMB".
    They offered to fix my computer to a "as new condition" and guaranteed to take care of any and all problems that came up in the future...... FOR $ 199.99........ thats right, they wanted me to pay them almost 200 dollars to remove the rogue antivirus and get my computer running again..
    I told them that its way too much money, and I knew I could reformat, etc. They came back with a counter offer and turned me over to another agent to try to close the sale.
    Since then I have discovered that CA has sold the security suite and is now under the name of Total Defense.
    I have NEVER seen either of these programs reviewed in PC World, or Maximum PC or anywhere.
    Has anyone else had similar experiences ? or believe its possible the companies are feeding us, to create opportunities for sales of the removal of the these rogues and fakes?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Antivirus programs are not flawless. If you've ever read reviews of antivirus software you'll notice that the metric they give for effectiveness is measured as a percentage of sample malware that was detected. In most cases that number is less than 100%, meaning some went undetected.

Microsoft Security Essentials is really all you need these days. It's free, light weight and effective.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo