1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Automatic Proxy settings on all applications

Hey guys, recently some malware was installed on my computer without me knowing it. (Obvious malware called winAntvir) spelled incorrectly on purpose. And what it basically did was set all my browser settings and all my applications to use a Proxy in order to make it look like i had an actual virus on my computer preventing me from accessing the internet.

I already figured out how to set my internet browsers to connect automatically to the internet rather than through a proxy but this is only a temporary fix. The problem is all my other applications dont seem to revert back, they all seem stuck in proxy.

Anyway to fix this?

Frankly i think this malware affected my registry files and may be enabling some automatic proxy for all applications automatically.
  3. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by Afire007
    Hey guys, recently some malware was installed on my computer without me knowing it. (Obvious malware called winAntvir) spelled incorrectly on purpose. And what it basically did was set all my browser settings and all my applications to use a Proxy in order to make it look like i had an actual virus on my computer preventing me from accessing the internet.

I already figured out how to set my internet browsers to connect automatically to the internet rather than through a proxy but this is only a temporary fix. The problem is all my other applications dont seem to revert back, they all seem stuck in proxy.

Anyway to fix this?

Frankly i think this malware affected my registry files and may be enabling some automatic proxy for all applications automatically.
    Start by going through the steps in this Sticky
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  5. No Profile Picture

thanks for the reply, but the problem is fixed. I simply had to change the registry ProxyEnable from 1 to 0. Looks like it was a pretty crappy malware bug.
  7. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by Afire007
    thanks for the reply, but the problem is fixed. I simply had to change the registry ProxyEnable from 1 to 0. Looks like it was a pretty crappy malware bug.
    If it was a malware issue, keep in mind that infections aren't always so visible. In other words, there could easily be something else infected on your machine... keyloggers, password stealers, etc.

I have yet to see a malware issue that was so easily solved.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by hiker
    If it was a malware issue, keep in mind that infections aren't always so visible. In other words, there could easily be something else infected on your machine... keyloggers, password stealers, etc.

I have yet to see a malware issue that was so easily solved.
    Yep thats why i also ran malwarebytes and an antivirus just to make sure. Password stealer was detected and removed. The only thing that wasnt getting fixed was this proxy bug.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo