1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

My computer is big time messed up...any way to actually get rid of the virus?

Well about a year ago I was playing around trying to download a program over limewire and apparently I downloaded something that disables my firewall and won't allow me to access the firewall settings. I never really cared but now I think it's preventing me from properly installing MySQL. So I need to try to fix it. Any free suggestions that can get rid of this kind of thing? I've used hijackthis multiple times but I don't think that's what it's suppose to do.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

If you can (assuming you're running windows?) re-start the system in "safe-mode with networking" and log on and run one or more (online) complete system scans from sites like trendmicro,panda soft, kaspersky etc. etc...(all free)

I recommend downloading and installing AVG (free) anti-virus software...

use MSconfig to stop any malicious services currently running...

you may also need to use a registry cleaner

good luck
  5. Malware Warrior /AV forum Mod
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Hi my name is Porthos, I am going to try to help you with your problem. Please take a note of a few things.

* All advice given is taken at your own risk.
    * I will start working on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
    * The process is not instant. Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine is clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
    * If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
    Click HERE to download HJTsetup.exe

* Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
    * Doubleclick on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    * By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
    * Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
    * Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    * Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    * At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    * Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
    * Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
    * Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
    * DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Download ComboFix from HERE to your Desktop.

* Double click combofix.exe and follow the prompts.
    * When finished, it will produce a log for you. Post that log and a HiJackthis log in your next reply

Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while its running. That may cause it to stall

Logs needed
    combofix
    Hijackthis log

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo