July 11th, 2007, 03:57 PM
My computer is big time messed up...any way to actually get rid of the virus?
Well about a year ago I was playing around trying to download a program over limewire and apparently I downloaded something that disables my firewall and won't allow me to access the firewall settings. I never really cared but now I think it's preventing me from properly installing MySQL. So I need to try to fix it. Any free suggestions that can get rid of this kind of thing? I've used hijackthis multiple times but I don't think that's what it's suppose to do.
July 11th, 2007, 04:03 PM
If you can (assuming you're running windows?) re-start the system in "safe-mode with networking" and log on and run one or more (online) complete system scans from sites like trendmicro,panda soft, kaspersky etc. etc...(all free)
I recommend downloading and installing AVG (free) anti-virus software...
use MSconfig to stop any malicious services currently running...
you may also need to use a registry cleaner
July 11th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Hi my name is Porthos, I am going to try to help you with your problem. Please take a note of a few things.
* All advice given is taken at your own risk.
* I will start working on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
* The process is not instant. Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine is clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
* If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
Click HERE to download HJTsetup.exe
* Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
* Doubleclick on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
* By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
* Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
* Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
* Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
* At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
* Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
* Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
* Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
* DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
Download ComboFix from HERE to your Desktop.
* Double click combofix.exe and follow the prompts.
* When finished, it will produce a log for you. Post that log and a HiJackthis log in your next reply
Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while its running. That may cause it to stall