1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I was hacked!

Sorry, this has very little to do with PHP (except the end), but I very much respect the opinions of people on this forum, and know that many of you are security conscious. My various Windows 7 PCs were compromised by a ugly virus called Trojan.zeroaccess!inf4. Beware....

So, where do I go the future. I am thinking one machine for non-secure use and another machine for secure use is well warranted.

First I thought a virtual machine made sense, but am not sure. Do I make the host or guest machine the secure machine? Or don't go down that route at all?

Next thought would be to mix up operating systems. For instance, should one use Windows for one operating system and Linux as the other? I didn't mention Apple since currently I only use Apple for tablets, and current have no Macs. Which one should be secure versus regular use? Does this change if I go the virtual machine path?

Do I physically disconnect the secure machine during non-use? I would rather not. I would also rather remote desktop to the secure machine through some method. But, if this imparts undue risk, will have to act differently.

I also have my Linux/PHP machine on my LAN for development PHP. Told you this was PHP related I am less restrictive on this machine. Should I put it in a DMZ?

Thank you
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Sorry Notion but as cool as the people in the PHP forum are, this really doesn't belong there.

What was the weakness or vulnerability? Unpatched? No antivirus? Prawn sites and torrenting? Unsafe practices will bite you one way or another.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Sorry Notion but as cool as the people in the PHP forum are, this really doesn't belong there.
    Yea, I know. Felt bad for even posting the message at the PHP forum, but it has been a bad few days. Maybe I am just more aware now, however, there appears to be a sudden rash of viruses, and feel good people should be aware.

What was the weakness or vulnerability?
    Unpatched? -100% up to date.
    No antivirus? - Up to date Norton. Hardware firewall only allowing input to my Linux box, and Linux firewalls on my Linux box and Windows firewall on my Windows PC.
    Prawn sites and torrenting? - None
    Suspect websites - Daughter visits Animal Jam (kid site). Also, planning a trip to Europe and viewing hotels. Nothing worse.

Unsafe practices will bite you one way or another
    I've never experienced this, and am unaware of any such practices. A concern of mine is that my Linux PHP server on my LAN might be a vector.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo