1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How does Norton Anti-Virus know new virus?

My Norton Anti-Virus program has just reminded me of a PWSteal.Lemir.Gen virus (Trojan Horse) while accessing a website. I then went to the Norton homepage, and found that to have my system protected against this virus I will need the virus definition no older than May 28, 2003. But my live-update has expired more than two years ago, and I never renewed it. So my virus definition is certainly older than May 28, 2003. Does anyone know why my Norton Anti-Virus program with old virus definition is still able to remind me of new virus?
  3. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

it receives a list of new viruses by connecting to norton's server online, regardless of your live update subscription.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Smile

Thanks for reply.

Does that mean NAV is always up-to-date in terms of virus warning? And virus definitions are needed only when, for some reason, new viruses already infiltrated into the system, and you want to get rid of them?
  7. Contributing User

uninstall norton, then download the free avg anti virus, it is good and updates for free. should remove anything you have and be better then a outdated norton.
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php
    She showed me her software so i pulled out my python.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo