Thread: Pendrive Virus

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Pendrive Virus

Whenever I insert Pendrive shortcut is created for the pendrive, how to recover data and remove this virus
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

One way is to boot a linux live cd and inspect the files on the usb device. The virus can't execute in a linux environment. I had to do this once to clean a usb stick that was infected.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by shyjuu
    Whenever I insert Pendrive shortcut is created for the pendrive, how to recover data and remove this virus
    How do you know for sure this is a virus?
    Alot of usb hdd & flash drive manufacturers now use an autorun feature which will place a shortcut to your drive on your desktop.
    If you don't want this feature , then, just delete/rename your autorun.inf file on the flash drive and see if that cures the issue.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

autorun in windows doesn't create any shortcuts.

Comments on this post

• DonR agrees : hmm, I don't know why I was thinking that autorun had that capability
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Doug G
    One way is to boot a linux live cd and inspect the files on the usb device. The virus can't execute in a linux environment. I had to do this once to clean a usb stick that was infected.
    Can I make my Pendrive such that it does not execute .exe files, is it possible to do that

Thanks for the reply
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by DonR
    How do you know for sure this is a virus?
    Alot of usb hdd & flash drive manufacturers now use an autorun feature which will place a shortcut to your drive on your desktop.
    If you don't want this feature , then, just delete/rename your autorun.inf file on the flash drive and see if that cures the issue.
    It is sure that there is Virus, because when I create some folder ,for example suppose I create folder name DEV, it automatically create the same folder named DEV but size of folder is changed to 737Kb and dll runtime is written automatically
  13. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Can I make my Pendrive such that it does not execute .exe files, is it possible to do that
    There is a setting in windows somewhere to turn off autoplay when cd/usb are inserted. I don't recall where the setting is found though but it should be pretty easy to find, lots of corporate windows workstations have autoplay disabled.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    --Alfred Bester
  15. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

hmm, I don't know why I was thinking that autorun had that capability
    Well, there are probably a significant number the programs that get called by autorun.inf that create shortcuts automatically, legitimate and viruses. And for all I know there may be some tag you can put in an autorun.inf file that creates a shortcut
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    --Alfred Bester
  17. No Profile Picture

Pendrive Virus

You should scan your pendrive with Anti-Virus installed in your PC, after the complete scanning you should open files from your pendrive.
  19. No Profile Picture

I know that and I had already done that setting , then also pendrive is infected by autorun virus
  21. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Joneantivirus
    You should scan your pendrive with Anti-Virus installed in your PC, after the complete scanning you should open files from your pendrive.
    I do not want to use any antivirus, is there any other way to get proteced
  23. No Profile Picture

Pendrive Virus

I) Open a command prompt by click Start -> Run. Type cmd and hit the Enter key.
    II) In the command prompt, create a directory in the root directory of the USB drive (By Pointing cmd to the USB disk VIA its drive letter like if its F:/ then type F:/ and hit enter) with command:

mkdir AutoRun.ini

III) Move into this new directory with command:

cd AutoRun.ini

IV) Create a new directory with command:

mkdir a...//

V) Exit the command prompt window with command:

exit

Remove the USB-dirve from the computer and now its immune. And whenever you will plug it into a infected computer the USB won't get infected.
  25. No Profile Picture

Smile

II) In the command prompt, create a directory in the root directory of the USB drive (By Pointing cmd to the USB disk VIA its drive letter like if its F:/ then type F:/ and hit enter) with command:

mkdir AutoRun.ini

cd AutoRun.ini

mkdir a...//

exit

Remove the USB-dirve from the computer and now its immune. And whenever you will plug it into a infected computer the USB won't get infected.
    Thanks a lot, Have Great Day

I have doubt here, what is this mkdir a...// mkdir is make directory but what is a...//, will this make directory of name a...
  27. No Profile Picture

mkdir AutoRun.ini

cd AutoRun.ini

mkdir a...//

exit

thanks for this info..accidentally bumped to this thread. i was searching for this solution for a long time
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

BitDefender has a free program that can be used to protect flash drives from things like that autorun virus.
    Its called Bitdefender USB Immunizer
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo