1. They're coming to take me away

PING: transmit failed, error code 5

So, this laptop I've got, can't access the internet. I've got a feeling it's spyware/virus related. He had mcafee on there, and these problems started shortly after uninstalling it. I ran Spybot, Ad-Aware, Ewido (AVG) Anti-spyware, and Trojan Hunter... all from safe mode. AVG and Trojan Hunter found nothing. Spybot found 15, and Ad-aware found 6 (zazzer). The WLAN on the laptop says it's connected, but can't access any sites, or ping (or even tracert). Tracert also gives a transmit failed error.

I did a google search, and it seems to be pointing to a spyware problem of some sort. There was a similar question on another forum I found while googling, but the admin closed it (in case someone else had a problem), and told them to PM each other. weird. Anyways... any thoughts?

Thanks.

Edit: It seems to be McAfee related.. but I can't get rid of everything. I Ran CCleaner 3 times in a row, and each time, it found different problems in the registry that said McAfee somewhere... the 4th time, no problems. I can use the internet in Safe Mode.
    Last edited by hiker; February 1st, 2007 at 10:41 PM.
  3. They're coming to take me away

Well.. if anyone else has this problem... possibly with McAfee, here's the McAfee removal software instructions

Took care of the ping transmit error and can now access the internet just fine.
  5. Periodically energetic Perler
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by hiker
    Well.. if anyone else has this problem... possibly with McAfee, here's the McAfee removal software instructions

Took care of the ping transmit error and can now access the internet just fine.
    Cheers for coming back with a solution.

Generally, after you run all your normal scans, do a scan with the kaspersky online scanner, reboot and then post a Hijackthis log so we can look at it.

if your interested heres a tutorial to help understand the Hijackthis log.

Displeaser
    Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici.
  7. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by displeaser
    Cheers for coming back with a solution.

Generally, after you run all your normal scans, do a scan with the kaspersky online scanner, reboot and then post a Hijackthis log so we can look at it.

if your interested heres a tutorial to help understand the Hijackthis log.

Displeaser
    Thanks, but couldn't get on the internet to do any scans. McAfee was causing all sorts of problems. I could access the internet from safe mode, but I tried housecall and panda activescan, and they wouldn't work. Guessing that safe mode has certain componenets disabled that those scans rely on.

Thanks for the hijackthis link. I'll take a look at it, as I've always wondered how to understand them.
  9. Periodically energetic Perler
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by hiker
    Thanks, but couldn't get on the internet to do any scans. McAfee was causing all sorts of problems. I could access the internet from safe mode, but I tried housecall and panda activescan, and they wouldn't work. Guessing that safe mode has certain componenets disabled that those scans rely on.

Thanks for the hijackthis link. I'll take a look at it, as I've always wondered how to understand them.
    If you ever need help going through one or dont know about an entry then either post here or send me a pm.

Displeaser

Edit: The kaspersky scan is better then housecall and active scan IMHO (another tool for yer toolkit) (Kaspersky is the best AV out there, bit costly but worth it)
    Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

ping error code 5

I believe this issue relates to corruption with client security software (anti-virus / firewall applications) such as f-secure and others.

I have just fixed a computer with this issue and discovered it was f-secure client security which had become corrupted. After trying TCP/IP stack repair with no success I removed f-secure and after a reboot the ping command started working again. I would therefore suggest it is a firewall which is blocking outgoing traffic such as a ping request
  13. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I had the same issue and uninstalling F-Secure anti virus software fixed the issue. Thanks!

Originally Posted by krackin01
    I believe this issue relates to corruption with client security software (anti-virus / firewall applications) such as f-secure and others.

I have just fixed a computer with this issue and discovered it was f-secure client security which had become corrupted. After trying TCP/IP stack repair with no success I removed f-secure and after a reboot the ping command started working again. I would therefore suggest it is a firewall which is blocking outgoing traffic such as a ping request

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo