1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy Real-time Antivirus for Linux

Any suggestion for a real-time (on file access/download, etc) for linux? Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

you don't really need a virus scanner but tucows makes one..supposedly good.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your reply. But why don't I need one? Oh and I think I should mention it is a server. Is Vexira good?!
    Last edited by siucorn; September 14th, 2003 at 08:24 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm not sure cuz like I said I don't use a scanner, you'll find most people don't. The reason is Linux is close to bulletproof when it comes to viruses for a few reasons, most viruses written are for MS systems (as we've seen the last couple months . Other reason is since almost all the software is open source and alot of people do there own compiling that stuff would be noticed and the word would be sent over the hills like wildfire. (not a bad way of putting it for someone who lives in the city eh)? Also nobody but root would even have the permissions to get at the vital files to infect them. Also since config files are in text form IF something was changed you'd see it. and the list goes on.
  9. Introspective
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

the only virus scanner I know of which runs on linux systems is just a cobble of FIle::Scan and is for checking microsoft docs or mail folder contents stored on linux file/mail servers. We do this to protect the windows community. If you're running *nix, then it's pretty much a non-issue.

christo
    This is me: http://chris.uk.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo