1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

My Security Wall Help

Hello, I am not the most technically savvy person so please bear with me.

My computer is infected with a program called My Security Wall. It is a fake antivirus that slows the performance of my computer, constantly pops up fake warnings about my computer being infected, and prevents me from most antivirus programs.

I have scoured the internet for two days on how to remove this program. The general response is to run Malwarebytes Antivirus, then reset the hosts information in my system32 folder. This process has been unsuccessful. I have Search and Destroy as well as Ad-Aware installed on my computer, however they are unable to run. I cannot access my task manager by ctrl-alt-delete or by right-clicking the task bar. I tried to download Microsoft Security Essentials, and was only able to download it from a 3rd party site. When attempting to install, it even said I have a non-genuine XP license. Almost all help sites cannot be accessed. Finally, system restore is not an option for me as it is not enabled at this time. Basically I am running out of options.

It is an old computer (2.6 Celeron 762MBs RAM, Win XP), so I would like to avoid taking it to a shop if at all possible. Investing much more than $50 seems like a waste to me.

So with all that being said, is it possible to remove this thing? From what I understand, it is extremely difficult to remove. That being said, I have generally read that this is generally harmless to my computer, more like an annoyance that will slow performance, but does not put my system at risk. I don't know if this is true, but I will avoid any kind of Web Banking or WoW-ing until I can get some help with this.

Thank you for reading this.
  3. They're coming to take me away

You say the process of using Malwarebytes has been unsuccessful. In what regard? Does the program not find the problem? Does it not install? Does it error out? Please be a little more specific in what is/isn't working in regards to anything you try.

If you have infection issues start here first..

Comments on this post

• jzd agrees
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by hiker
    You say the process of using Malwarebytes has been unsuccessful. In what regard? Does the program not find the problem? Does it not install? Does it error out? Please be a little more specific in what is/isn't working in regards to anything you try.
    My apologies for not being specific.

I run Malwarebytes and it finds over 700 (gasp) infected items. The items are then quarantined and removed. After following other online tutorials, the subsequent procedures of resetting hosts in win32 etc., the malware will still be on my computer. If I was to run Malwarebytes again, it would find the same errors.

All that being said, Malwarebytes seems to be the only spyware program that my computer can run. I have downloaded Spyware Doctor, Ad-Aware and Search and Destroy, and none of these programs can be launched after installation.
  7. No Profile Picture

Bump. Anyone?
  9. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by DonnyG33
    Bump. Anyone?
    Please DO NOT bump threads. In my previous post, there was a link. Follow all of those instructions and post back logs.
  11. No Profile Picture

Wow, thanks jerk. If you read my post, then it would be blatantly obvious that those steps were unsuccessful. I'll be sure to go to another forum and ask for assistance there.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by DonnyG33
    My apologies for not being specific.

I run Malwarebytes and it finds over 700 (gasp) infected items. The items are then quarantined and removed. After following other online tutorials, the subsequent procedures of resetting hosts in win32 etc., the malware will still be on my computer. If I was to run Malwarebytes again, it would find the same errors.

All that being said, Malwarebytes seems to be the only spyware program that my computer can run. I have downloaded Spyware Doctor, Ad-Aware and Search and Destroy, and none of these programs can be launched after installation.
    See bold.
  15. They're coming to take me away

I read your post. However, Spybot, Ad-aware, and Spyware Doctor were NOT in the programs listed to run. Programs that were: CCleaner, ATF Cleaner, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, BitDefender Online Scanner, and Hijackthis. You said Malwarebytes ran. You didn't post the log. Did you try any of these other ones? If you have, what happens when you try to run them after installation? Is there an error? Does it just not open? Does it populate in Task Manager? If need be, try renaming the executable to another name. Many infections will prevent programs from running based on what they are called.

Have you tried Safe Mode as well?

I know you mentioned trying other things that you have found online, but you should run through one set of instructions as opposed to a mix from various sites.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo