1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

System using high CPU %, cant figure out why.

So here is my hijackthis log. I'm not sure why but my System process is using 20-60% of my processor at all times. I tried disabling all my startup programs, a decent amount of my services and still no go.

One Huge clue as to what is going on my way be indicated by my attempt to install the new Nvidia driver. When I try to install the driver it says "Found new hardware wizard is open. Close the wizard to continue installation or wait until it is finished." Now there is no found new hardware wizard open... I even scanned for new hardware and found nothing. What gives? I wish I had XP pro so i could use tasklist and taskkill. Stupid XP home.

Anyone have a clue as to why this is happening? Is the found new hardware wizard acting up? If so how do I fix this? I searched that thread that nvidia is spitting at me and found no solutions.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
    Scan saved at 1:36:48 PM, on 7/7/2011
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
    C:\Program Files\Panda Security\Panda Cloud Antivirus\PSUNMain.exe
    C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\ApMsgFwd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apntex.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Panda Security\Panda Cloud Antivirus\PSANHost.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Hu\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Hu\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

--
    End of file - 6081 bytes

And I would love to be able to post a full hijackthis log but the forum wont allow me to because it contains urls.... not sure why it would contain urls
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

So I have dug deeper into the issue and think I have found the problem but I have no means to resolve it. The problem is a corrupt Windows Installer Service. Windows Installer thinks a program is being installed at all times even though there isnt, and because of this System is being used at 20-60% at all times. If I go into safe mode system is at 0% while idle. I took note of the services enabled there and made sure only those services were enabled. Still I got 20-60% use. So I restarted again and Loaded "The last known good configuration". System was now at 0% while idle. So I loaded services, and task manager, and proceeded to try to install the driver again. As soon as it started to try install Windows Installer Service started, System goes to 20-60% use, and the installer hangs up and fails. So my theory is that the Windows Installer Service is corrupt. There is a new Windows Installer Services available here microsoft*com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=8483 but even after installing that it is still corrupt and will not work. Im clueless now. Probably going to figure out how to put a bootable Windows XP Pro + Sp3 onto a thumbdrive and reformat my netbook. No more XP home makes me happy, but reformating is no fun.

Originally Posted by Hfactor
    So here is my hijackthis log. I'm not sure why but my System process is using 20-60% of my processor at all times. I tried disabling all my startup programs, a decent amount of my services and still no go.

One Huge clue as to what is going on my way be indicated by my attempt to install the new Nvidia driver. When I try to install the driver it says "Found new hardware wizard is open. Close the wizard to continue installation or wait until it is finished." Now there is no found new hardware wizard open... I even scanned for new hardware and found nothing. What gives? I wish I had XP pro so i could use tasklist and taskkill. Stupid XP home.

Anyone have a clue as to why this is happening? Is the found new hardware wizard acting up? If so how do I fix this? I searched that thread that nvidia is spitting at me and found no solutions.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
    Scan saved at 1:36:48 PM, on 7/7/2011
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
    C:\Program Files\Panda Security\Panda Cloud Antivirus\PSUNMain.exe
    C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\ApMsgFwd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apntex.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Panda Security\Panda Cloud Antivirus\PSANHost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

--
    End of file - 6081 bytes

And I would love to be able to post a full hijackthis log but the forum wont allow me to because it contains urls.... not sure why it would contain urls

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo