1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Not sure if this is a virus or not

Wondering if it could be a windows program coruption.
    It started yesterday when I was playing my fps game. Certain keys assigned to the game seemed to not work like they should. I then backed out of the game.
    Since that point I`ve found that I cant click on any of my desktop shortcuts to open them. I CAN click on the start button on the lower left of the screen and can navigate that normally, but once I start up IE, or any other program, I cannot click on anything in those windows that are open. I also CAN click on any window (program) in the task bar to bring them to the front, but still cannot click on anything in those windows and cannot close any windows this way.
    I am not using a mouse that uses batteries.
    I`ve started my pc in safe mode with the same exact results.
    In both normal & safe mode I can use keyboard shortcuts to get around in open windows. Example... IE and the Pictures folder, but once I try to click my mouse on anything in these windows, the keyboard shortcuts no longer work.
    I am running Windows Vista Home 64bit.
    I am useing CA Internet security suite for an anti virus. Only been using it for 2 weeks now and dont really have any opinion good or bad about it yet. One thing I didnt like though was that when installing this program it told me I needed to uninstall my Malewarebytes program for CA to work.
    Does this sound like a virus or some sort of windows program coruption?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

OK, I have installed and ran Malewarebytes and it found 1 infection. I navigated the program well enuf to quarenteen the infection. But couldnt get to the log file thru keyboard navigation to get specifics on that infection. But I have restarted a few times since with no better results than before. And a subsequent run of Malewarebytes says my system now is clean.
    Going to try a new mouse soon but I dont think thats the problem since I can navagate thru the start menu.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You could try an online antivirus scan like housecall.trendmicro.com. Also try spybot S&D scan.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Running Maleware bytes a second and 3rd time shows no sign of anything on my pc. I`m afraid it has changed up my registry, this is why I still see no change in the way it runs.
    Going to put my rescue disk in tonight and do a fresh install of the operating system, while saving the rest of the data I have accumulated.
    This should fix the problem. Hopefully.
    I`ve tried Micro Trend Housecall but somewhere along the line I couldnt get it to run just using the keyboard shortcuts.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Run 'chkdsk' to fix the windows error. Also find for registry solution online.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Aayudh
    Run 'chkdsk' to fix the windows error. Also find for registry solution online.
    'chkdsk' just checks the disk but does not fix the errors. It should tell you if you have any Windows errors but it will not tell you if you have malware/virus issues but well worth doing none the less. I had this with my PC and I had to regulary repair my disk as I have a faulty motherboard that keeps corrupting my hard drive.
  13. They're coming to take me away

Try going through the Sticky at the top of the AV forum entitled "If you have infection issues start here first"

Originally Posted by m1878
    'chkdsk' just checks the disk but does not fix the errors. It should tell you if you have any Windows errors but it will not tell you if you have malware/virus issues but well worth doing none the less. I had this with my PC and I had to regulary repair my disk as I have a faulty motherboard that keeps corrupting my hard drive.
    chkdsk will attempt to fix the errors if you run it with /f /r after it.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by hiker
    Try going through the Sticky at the top of the AV forum entitled "If you have infection issues start here first"

chkdsk will attempt to fix the errors if you run it with /f /r after it.
    That's it, thanks, I couldn't remember which letter it was you needed to put after to repair errors

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo