1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Can virus/spyware corrupt recovery partition?

Hi All,

I bought a HP-Pivilion DV4-1551dx a month back and I haven't created recovery discs yet. After a month of usage I suspect some virus and spyware in my laptop. I did a complete scan using norton antivirus but i still doubt for the presence of virus and spyware because norton's scan result shows many of the files skipped. Will the virus and spyware affect the recovery partition? Now if I create a recovery disc from the recovey partition will it be safe to use those discs or will it be affected by virus and spyware?

Thanks
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Yes, if you create a recovery partition with viruses on your machine then you will "freeze" those viruses onto the partition. Remove them first, use something better than Norton. Check out the sticky posts at the top of this forum.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If it's a manufacturer installed recovery partition the odds are very slim that there will be any infection problems on it. If you're just talking about provided files for you to make a recovery disk, and those files are in you windows partition, then you want to be concerned that the files may have gotten infected.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  7. No Profile Picture

thanks for your reply. the machine has a factory installed recovery partition on drive D: (i guess it's an image of Win 7 and other factory installed softwares) and the Win 7 OS is running on drive C:. now i want to make recovery discs from the recovery partition D: using the recovery manager software provided by the manufacturer. i ran a full system scan using norton and it says no virus found but what i am concerned about is when norton gives a report of the scan result about the number of files scaned, no of files infected etc., it says many files skipped. are there any chances that the virus or spyware had corrupted this recovery partition?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

there are different types of virus some attack exe, come txt, some boot devices etc So your recovery drive is not secure if you dont have an antivirus

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo