Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Correct antivirus?

Hi I am still a bit of a novice with these things that is why I am posting the questin. I am wondering if I am using the correct antivirus or not.

I am using Avast which seems to be decent although I didnt pay for it,how do i know for sure.

I was wondering how you find out if your antivirus is the correct one for your needs?
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

As long as you're not using Norton or McAfee,
    If you're using a mainstream product and aren't having problems then don't worry about it.

Of course, if you really wanted to know, you could do a study on your computer usage habits and compare that with the detection rates and types that each application offers...
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks thats helps kinda hehe
  7. No Profile Picture

i also think that famous antivirus software is effective, good designed and etc. Symantec, Kaspersky, Trend Micro, CA and etc have a good antivirus and antivirus security software. See products of these companies.

Comments on this post

• jzd disagrees : -1 Sorry but Symantec is junk. (Note: Norton is from Symantec)
  9. Did you steal it?

jzd disagrees: -1 Sorry but Symantec is junk. (Note: Norton is from Symantec)
    Symantec Endpoint Protection has always been good to me (though I don't use it anymore). However Symantec AntiVirus is a different story...
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by _Titan_
    ijzd disagrees: -1 Sorry but Symantec is junk. (Note: Norton is from Symantec)
    Really ? It's strange. I use it about two years ago and it worked good. May be now something changed. If it's truth it is bad
  13. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

For home use: I have setup, used, and maintained (for myself and friends and family) a large variety of companies and products. AVG and Avira have been the ones I am most pleased with, although I have not ever used Kaspersky. Although the user holds 90% of the blame, all the machines I have ever had to clean of virus either had Norton or McAfee or IE (or a combination).

For corporations: I don't know how easy they are to deploy but my employer used to use Norton and it had horrible performance. It would scan all of our Java applications during every use and just bog down the processor. Norton support could not figure it out. Before long we moved to McAfee and that was better but now we are on Symantec Endpoint Protection which is also better, but they have a weekly scan scheduled that uses one of my two cores for about 4 hours every week. (I only have 20 GB on the hard drive so not sure why it takes so long).
  15. Did you steal it?

Originally Posted by jzd
    but they have a weekly scan scheduled that uses one of my two cores for about 4 hours every week
    Why not have it scheduled for early morning or late evening? When you aren't using the computer, that is.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

The correct antivirus is the one that stops the infection from getting on your machine. In tests Norton is consistently at or near the top when it comes to identifying malware.

I used norton for years, but went to NOD32 a couple years ago, Norton just became too bloated with stuff for me. I don't have any problem recommending Norton, though, many of my clients use Norton, some use the server-based Norton for their businesses.

The best antivirus is user education.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain
  19. No Profile Picture

Hi....everyone
    I am using AVG anti virus that is the correct and best anti-virus for me...
  21. No Profile Picture

for me BitDefender and Kaspersky are the most valuable systems, though i don't know why everybody hates Norton and Symantec. i haven't had a problem with any of these, but BitDefender is definitely the best.
    I think a lot of it hast to do with how u use your computer though, and with the website you surf.
  23. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by requinix
    Why not have it scheduled for early morning or late evening? When you aren't using the computer, that is.
    That was my thought, but the "PC Support" group have all the controls restricted and I asked them about changing the time to late at night or early morning. The response was that many people have there computers off at that time. I then asked well can it just be changed for my PC and I will make sure it is on, their response was that the "scan options" can't be set for individual PCs, it has to be a change globally. At that point I gave up.
  25. No Profile Picture

let me get this straight

thanks guys so bottom line is that any antivirus which is effective is good!

I am just wondering if you know which antivirus makes use of the latest definitions then updates so that everything is full proof in case of new viruses.

I have been doing some homework lol
  27. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by netnerdnerd9
    thanks guys so bottom line is that any antivirus which is effective is good!

I am just wondering if you know which antivirus makes use of the latest definitions then updates so that everything is full proof in case of new viruses.

I have been doing some homework lol
    As far as antivirus protection goes, nothing is fool proof. I constantly get machines to work on that have been infected even though they have virus protection. Just about any virus protection will update to get the latest definitions. Just stick with a program that doesn't use a ton of resources.... (Avira, Bitdefender, Kaspersky...). As long as antivirus programs keep coming out with updates for the latest viruses, there will be people that come out with new viruses that aren't in the newest updates.

The only fool proof way to prevent infections is to not turn on your computer.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  29. No Profile Picture

thanks

thanks think I get it now
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo