1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I need help removing a virus, worm, trojan whatever it is

About two months ago it could be a little longer than that my pc froze up one morning I had to manually shut it off when it rebooted I ran a antivirus scan with anti-malware bytes it found 3 infections I removed them when I tried to restart the pc I got the blue screen of death this happened two or three times finally it booted up again but my pc has been acting very strange ever since these are some of the symptons I am experiencing

a) I can no longer access windows updates when I try to update windows I get a white screen saying internet explorer cannot display the webpage. Internet explorer works it is only when I try to update windows the connection fails the same thing happens when i try to update microsoft security essential I get a message saying the update failed I have to manually update security essentials.

b) My taskbar turned from blue to white or gray.

c) I have antimalware bytes installed on my pc until a few days ago I had avg free I uninstalled it. I have comodo firewall only firewall no antvirus and I installed microsoft security essentials about two days ago. The different anti virus detect different infections after I remove them the problem is still not solved when I scan again the same infections pop up. Security essentials detected eight trojans or exploits all rated severe I removed them the problems persist.

d) my start menu changes.

e) random pop windows when I am surfing I could be using the internet out of nowhere a new window pops up when I do a google search and click on a link it takes me to a different site not the link I clicked on.

f) yesterday I tried to change the programs that start on startup there was something that looked like a row of squares with the location being windows something I disabled them today I checked msconfig the programs are enabled again.

please help
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Check your IE lan settings and see if the virus has set a proxy. If so see what process is listening on the proxy port.

The longer your computer is infected the more likely more malware will get installed. Often the initial infection is nothing but a downloader for tons of more malware.

The only completely safe thing to do is to completely erase your hard drive, repartition it and reinstall windows from scratch. Otherwise you need to be very thorough in your cleanup efforts to ensure your computer is in fact free of any malware.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank you for the reply, Doug G. How exactly do I check Internet Explorer's LAN settings? I clicked internet explorer, tools, internet options, connections, lan settings but nothing is checked off under proxy server it is grayed out where it says address it is blank where it says port I see the number 80.

Originally Posted by Doug G
    Check your IE lan settings and see if the virus has set a proxy. If so see what process is listening on the proxy port.

The longer your computer is infected the more likely more malware will get installed. Often the initial infection is nothing but a downloader for tons of more malware.

The only completely safe thing to do is to completely erase your hard drive, repartition it and reinstall windows from scratch. Otherwise you need to be very thorough in your cleanup efforts to ensure your computer is in fact free of any malware.
  7. They're coming to take me away

Run through the Sticky at the top of the Antivirus forum entitled "If you have infection issues, start here first.."
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  9. No Profile Picture

Hay buddy now a days we have very dangerous kinds of antivirus who destroy our system in no way time.. so the blue screen which you are mentioned shows me that your window is fully crashed now you have to re-install it... after installing new window try to install Panda Cloud Antivirus . I am sure after this your system will be safe. thanks

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo