1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Apache directives via database

Wondering if there is a way to house the configuration of an apache directive (i.e. directory, location, or virtualhost) in a mysql database?

We are trying to build a webdav server that can be dynamically updated from a mysql database, where each user we define gets a webdav directory like this:

<Directory /webdav/username1>
    Dav On
    Options +Indexes
    IndexOptions FancyIndexing
    AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
    AuthType Digest
    AuthName "Private"
    AuthUserFile ??
    Require user username1
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    require valid-user
    </Directory>

I know you can do authentication via a database using mod_auth_mysql, but we want to do the entire webdav configuration from a database. Is this even close to possible?
  3. mod_dev_shed
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I don't believe so, no.

But what you can do is create a file per user in a directory that has only these configuration files and then use the Include directive to get them all in to Apache's configuration when it's restarted.
    # Jeremy

Explain your problem instead of asking how to do what you decided was the solution.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

In the same boat

Hi, I'm looking at the same situation myself. A bit of googling hasn't turned up anything that will just plugin and do it all for me but it looks as if I can accomplish it with a wee bit of perl.

See perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/http.html, in particular PerlAuthenHandler.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

ispconfig3 does what you want. The ispconfig3 code is all php and open-source, you could get their package and see how they handle dynamic per-vhost apache directives.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo