1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Apache can no longer load php

Hello fellow lamp users,

I have a server that has ran happily for a very long time now. It suddenly quit parsing php scripts on my website but phpmyadmin seemed to work fine. I logged on and tried running php from the command line and just like the warnings logged after the whitescreen url requests I received that the dynamic libraries could not be loaded due to undefined symbols. I temporarily commented these out and php came back for about 30 minutes then the server crashed along with the system. I was able to get the computer back up and running however my logs stopped logging shortly after php quit working the first time. Not sure why because there is still free space to log. Now when I try to start apache it says it cannot load the phplib5.so into the server due to an undefined symbol.

I'm not ready to recompile the server just yet and I'd love to know what happened. Nothing has been installed or updated that I'm aware of and all libraries are in their correct locations with nothing edited or moved.

Any ideas as to where to begin with such an issue? I'd love to try debugging some with gdb but unfortunately I can't find any makefiles and the debugger doesn't seem to be working in its current state with this install. Any ideas?
    Since this could quite possibly be a system issue:
    dmesg:
    Code:
    EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem. EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery. kjournald starting. 
    Commit interval 5 seconds EXT3-fs: 
    sda1: orphan cleanup on readonly fs
    ext3_orphan_cleanup: deleting unreferenced inode x1234
     etc...
    Looks like there were about 10 inodes cleaned up. Unfortunately I don't see anything else of closer relevance.
    Last edited by nightFix; December 10th, 2011 at 10:26 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

i would suggest loading up a linux LiveCD and run FSCK on your system drive [since the filesystem needs to be unmounted before actually fixing any problems].
    sounds like you may have some harddrive/filesystem corruption starting which may indicate bad sectors .
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I've been considering that and it will work since the partition at fault is on its own /dev. I just didn't know how probable that would be since I can still read and copy the .so files. Also, I recently had a flood of new script attacks coming in and didn't want to waste time with a scan if I was missing something soft.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Culprit: faulty RAM module

Comments on this post

• aitken325i agrees

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo