1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Apache vhost config (newbie)

Hi all,

An installed file tells me:

"The database credentials are stored in the Apache vhost config..."

Can anyone please suggest what / where this apache file is so I can read it?

Thank you...
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It depends on where you created it. If someone else created it, then it's probably located in a directory like /etc/httpd, /etc/apache, /etc/apache2 or something along those lines.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    It depends on where you created it. If someone else created it, then it's probably located in a directory like /etc/httpd, /etc/apache, /etc/apache2 or something along those lines.
    @ E-Oreo ok thanks I did not create it. Do you know the proper file name for what they call Apache vhost config ?

Thanks...
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Juc1
    @ E-Oreo ok thanks I did not create it. Do you know the proper file name for what they call Apache vhost config ?

Thanks...
    OK so in my case (Ubuntu) the main Apache config file is /etc/apache2/apache2.conf. But can anyone please tell me is any file treated as an apache config file without the need for an include directive if it is inside the /etc/apache2/conf.d/ or /etc/apache2/ directory?

Thanks...
  9. Transforming Moderator

There's probably an Include for that directory already. Check in the apache2.conf near the bottom.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by requinix
    There's probably an Include for that directory already. Check in the apache2.conf near the bottom.
    Ok thanks yes there is this

# Include generic snippets of statements
    Include conf.d/
    So I guess conf.d means /etc/apache2/conf.d

So anyway I think that include directives need to be in the main configuration file (ie /etc/apache2/apache2.conf in my case) not just in any apache config file - in other words if a file / directory is not included in the main configuration file then it is ignored - have I got that right?

Thanks...
  13. Transforming Moderator

Not really: Include can be used anywhere, even in .htaccess files.

What's the actual problem you're trying to solve?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Not really: Include can be used anywhere, even in .htaccess files.
    Ok thanks so do you mean that my /etc/apache2/apache2.conf could say "include directory x" and then directory x could have another include directive saying "include directory y" ie where directory y has not been mentioned by my apache2.conf?

What's the actual problem you're trying to solve?
    I am just trying to understand how to work out where the various apache config files are.
  17. Transforming Moderator

Ok thanks so do you mean that my /etc/apache2/apache2.conf could say "include directory x" and then directory x could have another include directive saying "include directory y" ie where directory y has not been mentioned by my apache2.conf?
    Yes.

I am just trying to understand how to work out where the various apache config files are.
    Depends on the distro. Ubuntu puts everything I can think of under /etc/apache2.
    My httpd.conf (12.04) is empty and apache2.conf serves as the main configuration file. Individual sites are listed under sites-available and are enabled by symlinks in sites-enabled. Modules are the same way with mods-available and mods-enabled.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yes.

Depends on the distro. Ubuntu puts everything I can think of under /etc/apache2.
    My httpd.conf (12.04) is empty and apache2.conf serves as the main configuration file. Individual sites are listed under sites-available and are enabled by symlinks in sites-enabled. Modules are the same way with mods-available and mods-enabled.
    ok thanks

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo