1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Apache worker is crashing after 2500+ users

I activated Apache Worker on my VPS (vps.net) and I'm having problems, 'cause the website is crashing when 2500+ users are accessing the website. I'm using http://whos.amung.us/stats/2jzwlvbhvpft/ as counter.

My Apache Worker configuration:

Code:
    KeepAlive On
    MaxKeepAliveRequests 0
    KeepAliveTimeout 1

<IfModule mpm_worker_module>
    MaxClients 4000
    ThreadsPerChild 50
    ServerLimit 80
    </IfModule>
    The VPS have the SO: Debian 64 LAMP, memory: 7,3gb, 1 Gbps Lan and CPU: 24ghz
    What I could to do to solve this problem?
  3. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Have you found any indication as to why "the website is crashing"? Do you know for sure that it's Apache and not, say, a load balancer or database? 2500 users per what unit of time? Concurrently? And how did you get a 24GHz CPU?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by requinix
    Have you found any indication as to why "the website is crashing"? Do you know for sure that it's Apache and not, say, a load balancer or database? 2500 users per what unit of time? Concurrently? And how did you get a 24GHz CPU?
    Hi requinix!
    Yes, 2500 users concurrent. I'm not using mysql, only php + fread (json). When 2500+ users are using the website, for each 5 web requests, 3 returns a 404 error and 2 returns the website after 10 seconds.
    But, my God, is not possible!!! A load balancer for only 2500 concurrent? I don't believe!
    On the vps.net, it's possible get 20.4ghz to cpu by US$ 17/day or 40.8 ghz paying US$ 34/day.
    Could I to be using in a incorrectly way this excessive hardware??? Seems like 90% of hardware are lazy, with no use.
  7. mod_dev_shed
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

First, read the big warning at the top of the PHP installation page for Apache on 2.X for *nix systems (assuming you're using 2.X)—production systems should use the prefork MPM!

Regardless, you're likely undersized and overloaded. A pic of the output of top would be helpful, and turning on and providing us the result of server status would help, too. Are you using a PHP application of some kind, maybe a CMS?
    # Jeremy

Explain your problem instead of asking how to do what you decided was the solution.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo