1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Creating ftp accounts with Putty

Hello;

How can I create ftp accounts with Putty and give them access to only some specific folders? For example I want to create a user called test_user and give him access to public_html/test_user.

Thank you
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Putty doesn't do anything but give you shell access. SSH. The terminal. Command line.

As for the question, which by the way has nothing to do with Apache, it depends what FTP server you have installed. Generally you add a user to the system itself (a real user account) and set their home directory to wherever. Normal Unix permissions take care of the rest but the FTP server may support jails.

So now I'm wondering, do I move this to the Linux or FTP forum. What FTP server do you have? How familiar are you with the command line?
  5. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by requinix
    Putty doesn't do anything but give you shell access. SSH. The terminal. Command line.

As for the question, which by the way has nothing to do with Apache, it depends what FTP server you have installed. Generally you add a user to the system itself (a real user account) and set their home directory to wherever. Normal Unix permissions take care of the rest but the FTP server may support jails.

So now I'm wondering, do I move this to the Linux or FTP forum. What FTP server do you have? How familiar are you with the command line?
    I can connect server as root. The ftp accounts I create from whm dont work! I thought I use putty.
  7. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by zxcvbnm
    I can connect server as root. The ftp accounts I create from whm dont work! I thought I use putty.
    What doesn't work? Error message, can't log in (invalid pass), auto closes log in window... ?

Once you create the user, you may need to verify they are allowed to login by viewing the passwd file. Also verify what directory they are allowed access in that file as well.

How are you creating the user and what are you doing to test the account?
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo