1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Htdigest authentication

Hey all,

I have a trac deployment for our SVN that uses htdigest for simplicity and fast deployment.

I have an issue with two users.

If I add user jim and create a password for him, it will write it to the start of the file instead of appending it. Likewise with user jason. And it seems to be only these two users.

I am creating the usernames and passwords with:

htdigest -c .htpasswd_digest "Trac Authentication" <username>

I've been Googling around and cannot find any reports of this behaviour. Any ideas?

I could try to add jim and then jason and copy the user credentials and manually add them once the other is there.

Another thing I found weird is that one of the users takes up 2 lines of the auth file but the second line is only ever a character or two.
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by WrinkledCheese
    If I add user jim and create a password for him, it will write it to the start of the file instead of appending it. Likewise with user jason. And it seems to be only these two users.
    Is that a problem? What users do you have so far?
  5. Contributing User

I have 6. When I add Jim and Jason exists...Jim overwrites Jason effectively deleting Jason and vice versa.

If I add Harry, Curly or Moe, they append to the end of the file without deleting other users.
  7. Contributing User

Interesting

I manually deleted both Jim and Jason from the file. Added one. And pasted a copy of the other and now they work. This has also stopped htdigest from overwriting one or the other.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo