November 9th, 2000, 11:57 PM
I am a newbie of apache and I have some question about my hosting account.
1) In my hosting account given control panel. I can see some files in my login account (*** BUT not in my CuteFTP *** WHY???)
All these files are begin with period ".". What that means? Are they hidden files so I cant see in my cuteftp s/w?
2) How come I dont see any .htpasswd file? Where is it?
3) What is the purpose of this .htpasswd file.
November 10th, 2000, 12:11 AM
1) -> You don't see the files beginning with a "." because you're not supposed to. If you know they're there you can still use them without seeing them.
2) -> If you have a .htpasswd file there and you can't see it this is for the same reason. If you don't have one there you'll have to make one - they're not there by default.
3) -> .htpasswd files hold usernames and encrypted passwords for use with apache authentication. If you don't know what that is, read the manual.
Hope that helps,