Thread: mod_auth_mysql

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I'm very interested in learning about using Apache authentication through a mysql database. However, the documentation on this has been removed from http://bourbon.netvision.net.il/

If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it. The web utility I am writing currently depends on some sort of authentication and I would really like to try this. Currently using mysql and php on an apache webserver.

Thanks
    FuZZ
  3. No Profile Picture
    freebsd
    >>the documentation on this has been removed from http://bourbon.netvision.net.il/

Right. Here is another link to download it-> http://download.sourceforge.net/mirr...ql-2.20.tar.gz

You actually don't need the docs from that site since the "USAGE" file is exactly the same as from the web. You will see such file once you extracted the tarball.

You can also click the "search" link found on this page and type "mod_auth_mysql" as Search Keyword to find out more.
  5. No Profile Picture

I was hoping you would respond (you seem to know more about this than anyone according to the posts I've been reading) From my readings, I think I have a good idea of what is going on. My question is this: Am I going to have to recompile apache to get this to work?

The reason being that believe it or not, my servers actually depend on having the version of apache that is running. The version I am using is 1.3.6 I believe -- I do know it is not the latest. Also because of what the servers house, the webserver cannot be down for longer than an hour, and even that is pushing it.

Thanks
    FuZZ

[This message has been edited by thefuzzball (edited September 29, 2000).]
  7. No Profile Picture
    freebsd
    >>Am I going to have to recompile apache to
    get this to work?

It depends if your apache has DSO support or not. You can check by typing "httpd -l", if it shows "mod_so.c", then it has DSO support. Otherwise, you will have to recompile Apache.

>>The version I am using is 1.3.6 I believe -- I do know it is not the latest

That is okay as long as it has DSO support. Or else, you have to recompile Apache or you may as well upgrade to the latest 1.3.12 and start from scratch.

>>the webserver cannot be down for longer than an hour

Once again, if it has DSO support, your server could be down for as less as 5 minutes.

I see that you currently using PHP and MySQL, so I assume they are running fine in your production server. If MySQL was installed in a standard location like "/usr/local" instead of the non-standard location "/usr/local/mysql", you more than likely should face less troubles.

It takes shorter time to install it than configure it. Just that during installation, you have to stop your running server.

The DSO method is straight forward:

./configure --with-mysql=/usr/local --with-apxs=/usr/local/sbin/apxs

make

make install
  9. No Profile Picture

Well Damn. hehehe -- any chance in DSO support being under a different name?

Looks like I got screwed at both ends. Not only was mod_so.c not listed, but mysql is installed in /usr/local/mysql.

Oh, well. Thanks for trying.

FuZZ
  11. No Profile Picture

Just a thought:

I've noticed that a vast majority of the posts on here assume that the servers are running RedHat linux or some linux distro. I'm running Solaris 2.6. I know it shouldn't, but I've seen it before -- does that make a difference?

FuZZ
  13. No Profile Picture
    freebsd
    According to apache_1.3.12/Install file:

Dynamic Shared Object (DSO) support [OPTIONAL]:

To provide maximum flexibility Apache now is able to load modules under runtime via the DSO mechanism by using thepragmatic dlopen()/dlsym() system calls. These system calls are not available under all operating systems therefore you cannot use the DSO mechanism on all platforms. And Apache currently has only limited built-in knowledge on how to compile shared objects because this is heavily platform-dependent. The current state is this:

o Out-of-the-box supported platforms are:
    - Linux - SunOS - UnixWare - Mac OS X Server
    - FreeBSD - Solaris - AIX - Mac OS
    - OpenBSD - IRIX - SCO - OpenStep/Mach
    - NetBSD - HPUX - ReliantUNIX - DYNIX/ptx
    - BSDI - Digital Unix - DGUX

o Entirely unsupported platforms are:
    - Ultrix

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo