1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I installed ultraboard 2000 on my unix account (apache server). It created a few directories and files for me, extracted from tar files on the server. The trouble is, i don't own the files, and i can't chmod or chown them, or even delete them. I get a 553 every time. (owner = nobody, group = nogroup)

So how to i change this?

TIA!
  3. No Profile Picture
    freebsd
    >>on my unix account

So you don't own the server, but what permission do you have on the server? What "user/group" Apache run as?

>>i don't own the files

Doesn't matter

>>i can't chmod or chown them, or even delete them

From where? What is the output of "ls -Al"?
    If ultraboard was designed to run as nobody, why you want to change its permission?
  5. No Profile Picture

I see your point, but what if i ever want to delete the files, or just move them? ls -l tells me that the owner is "nobody" and the group is "nogroup".

chmod 777 filename just results in "chmod: filename: operation not permitted".

So in other words, ultraboard can delete and write to files, but i can't!
  7. No Profile Picture
    freebsd
    You haven't replied to 3.5 of my 5 questions except "why you want to change its permission?".

>>ls -l tells me that the owner is "nobody" and the group is "nogroup".

I need the output, not what you think the owner and group should be.

>>chmod 777 filename just results in "chmod
    From where? Shell? FTP agent?

I don't want to do any guessing if you don't reply to my previous questions. But more than likely Apache has permission to delete those files. So write a script to delete those files in case you decide to remove ultraboard only if Apache is run as nobody and those files have appropriate permission for Apache user to write to.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo