1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Proxy pass without replacitng client IP address

Hi everyone...

I Have had a few people chewing on this one problem - but we haven't been able to solve it...

I have an Apache server that receives all web requests. If any request has the directory "/wt" in the url the ProxyPass command is used to forward onto another machine (WebTrends) - the syntax I'm using is:

ProxyPass /wt/ http://192.168.4.13/

When this request gets to the WebTrends machine the request is logged as coming from the Apache box - not the clients actual IP address.

By using the ProxyPass command I have lost the originators IP address (not much use for user tracking!).

Is there a solution for making sure the client IP passes through the proxy?

I have trawled through the Apache site and have not been successful finding a command that will do this... Does anyone know if there is a command/directive/switch for this...

Any help appreciated...
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

not possible 2 log the user information Before it gets passed over by the proxy? sorry i`m no expert in this field. I tried setting my own proxy up with apache and the client machine lost images lol!

another possibility could be to use a webpage to redirect requests, so make a directory on ur first server with an index file that redirects to the other server. This way, ur requests are logged by the index file.

Try it, cos like i say i`m not very gd with Proxy!!!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

mod_proxy adds X-Forwarded-For environment variable by default, but it doesn't tell users how to retrieve its value. For that you need to use a 3rd party module called mod_extract_forwarded
    Again, the X-Forwarded-For is there, it's all matter of how to retrieve it yourself.
  7. No Profile Picture

Nice one - I'll see if I can get this tested out...

Although looking at the docs it might not be suitable for my version of Apache as it is unsure about v.2...

thanks...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo