1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

SSL & PHP together question?

Hello -
    I currently have a registration system set up in which people register for through though the web but no credit cards are sent yet. I dont know much about SSL so maybe you can answer some of the questions I have regarding it.

All the registration information right now goes to MySql database and people cant pay by credit card. If I run the registration on a SSL url as apposed to http regular can I have credit card information sent to the database hassle free without some major encryption/decryption with php code?

Meaning can i just have people enter their Credit card information on the web and it transfers to the database to retreive later safely as long as its on an SSL?

Because I need to charge them through a regular retail merchant account (Physically type them in) as I dont have an internet merchant account and dont wish to use a 3rd party like paypal.

Thanks -

Alexander
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Storing CC data is a risky thing.

I strongly recommend you get an Internet merchant ID.
    Since you already have a regular merchant ID, this shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, to the question in hand.
    Using PHP on an SSL enabled site doesn't require you do anything differently.
    It'll still be secure as it would be with static content.
    And, no, you won't need to do any decrypting/encypting in PHP.

However if you really insist on stong CC data then don't even consider doing it on a shared server.
    Some hosts try to trick you so make sure you you really are on a dedicated server.

Again tho', I STRONGLY suggest you get an internet merchant ID and receive payments thorough a payment gateway instead.
    Google :: Apache Manual :: FreeBSD Handbook
    SourceHack :: SourceHack Forums :: SourceHack IRC
    UNIX is simple; it just takes a genius to understand its simplicity!!!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo