1. (retired)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If you're on windows then you could always take a look at XAMPP which is a package installer and should do it all for you.

--Simon
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by SimonGreenhill
    If you're on windows then you could always take a look at XAMPP which is a package installer and should do it all for you.

--Simon
    Thanks for the link to XAMPP. I downloaded it and installed it but how do I go about testing whether things are running properly? One of the installation documents I was reading sugested putting "http://localhost/test.php" into the URL line which should show some kind of PHP info. All it does however is sow a screen saying "Object not found" and a 404 error.

Have I installed something wrong?
    Do I have to change some settings (I thought the XAMPP would set everything up)?
    What can I do to test that PHP/Apache/MySQL are working?

I am totally new to all of this so any help would be appreciated. Like most other software, I'm hoping that I'll get to grips with things pretty quickly.

Thanks
  5. (retired)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You need to MAKE the page test.php and upload it into the htdocs directory. Read this, which should help.

-Simon
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Installing Apache

I had this same problem.
    I am trying to install Apache on my Home PC.
    It runs Windows XP pro SP2 - all updates up to date.
    I downloaded Apache 2.2.3 but found that the only way I could get it to run was to do the recommended install - to drive C.
    When I tried to install it to any other folder it wouldn't run.
    When installed to the C drive ir worked first time !
    However I still can't install PHP and get it to work !.
    I also had trouble with exactly the same problem as the others have mentioned, but found that I was the fault !
    I had simply got the path wrong !
    I followed the instructions in the PHP module but there it said :

LoadModule php5_module "C:/php/php5apache.dll"

where in fact I was using php5apache2.2.dll !

But even putting this right didn't get Apache running correctly.

I finally realized that it should read:

LoadModule php5_module "C:/Program Files/php/php5apache2.2.dll"

This part then worked but still can't get Apache running PHP as there are other problems !
    Tried and tested FREEBIES-4-YOU !!

http://www.freebies-4-you.com
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi,

I've got this problem, trying to install Apache 2.2.3 and PHP 5.1.6. The Apache server won't restart after adding "LoadModule php5_module c:\php\php5apache2.dll" to the config file.

I get this error message, trying to install it on Windows XP Pro:

The original link in this forum (link to a resolution) is broken and no longer works - can anybody tell me how to get PHP and Apache working?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Managed to solve this, using this article, taken from :http://www.apachelounge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2469

IF YOU INSTALLED APACHE USING MSI FILE THEN (otherwise skip down to CONTINUE section):
    I have not tested ASF MSI installation applications lately, but the last time I tested the MSI FAILED to remove to some things that can cause problems later on. BEFORE you UN-INSTALL the MSI file, open a command prompt and navigate to the BIN folder of Apache. Now, uninstall the service:

httpd -k uninstall

Now that the service is removed, uninstall Apache and remove ALL PHP entries (files that you copied from where ever to where ever).

CONTINUE:
    Install VC++ Redistributable. It can be downloaded at the link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Download Apache 2.2.x from http://www.apachelounge.com/download/

Unzip his ZIP file in a new folder called something like C:\Apache2. Then, read the file named Read Me First !!.txt. It will tell you how to setup the service for Apache. If you want or need ApacheMonitor you can create shortcuts however you like. Before installing ANYTHING else, ensure Apache will start. After you validate that Apache starts, stop it before proceding.

If you are still with me, now download PHP 5.1.4 from PHP.net you want this file: php-5.1.4-Win32.zip

Extract the contents of this file and move the contents to where you intend to use PHP such as C:\PHP5. Overwrite the php5apache2.dll with Steffen's version:

Downloal php5apache2.dll from www.apachelounge.com/download/

Add the folder that you put the PHP files into in the PATH ENVIRONMENT (System Properties | Advanced | Environment Variables | System variables | Path). Example:

Variable name: Path
    Variable value: C:\php5;%SystemRoot%\system32;.....

DO NOT WORRY with coping files over to the Windows folders, the reason for this to begin with is because Windows folder is already in the Path. Since you have added the PHP folder to the Path you do not need to copy or move files to the Windows folder. This will make upgrading PHP simpler as well and allows you to keep PHP all together.

Finally, this should be the last step, edit the Apache CONF file with:

LoadModule php5_module "c:/php5/php5apache2.dll"
    AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
    AddType application/x-httpd-php .php-source .phps
    # configure the path to php.ini
    PHPIniDir "c:/php5"
  13. No Profile Picture

php5apache2.dll not found error

I had just installed the latest versions of Apache and PHP5 when this silly error occured. Did all the checks, of course: Correct filename and path, permissions ok, etc and then some.

sjwdavies supplied the first usable advice to my case. Thanks!

Actually I was too lazy to follow it all. I merely downloaded the updated php5apache2.dll-php5.1.x.zip module from the site he mentioned and followed the instructions in the readme. No need to re-install Apache or anything.

A miracle! It all actually works!
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I just stumbled across this thread because I was experiencing the same problem. Hopefully the solution that I discovered isn't too outdated.

Thanks to one of the replies on this thread, I discovered that if you rename the "php5apache2_2.dll" to "php5apache2.dll", the Apache server starts just fine. I haven't had any backlash from this solution yet, but I just applied it.

Hope this helps!
  17. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up php5apache2.dll

Originally Posted by Jing_Jing
    If u are using php extracted from php-5.1.4-Win32.zip with the apache 2.2.2, then u must do exactly the instructions shown in the url posted by miaow (hosted by lewellyn). What i mean is you MUST reinstall the php using the win32 package stated in that website (which is php5.2-win32-200607050230.zip after u saved it into ur pc). My problem solved once i load the module php5apache2_2.dll in the inzziped php5 folder instead of php5apache2.dll (original php-5.1.4-Win32.zip does not provide php5apache2_2.dll). Thanks alot to miaow for posting the URL here and lewellyn for providing the solution.
    Jing_Jing, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! You helped me solve my months old problem as the author of the book that I bought have replied on my email a lot slower than his book has been delivered to me. Even worst, it does not have the answer. Yours -- I just browsed this morning and found the solution in about 10 minutes ('coz I read/analyzed other threads first). Thanks to you, the Dev Shed people, the internet technology, and all related entities. Keep up the good work!

Comments on this post

• jabba_29 agrees : Welcome to Dev Shed. Glad you got your solution.
  19. No Profile Picture

stuck to the max

ok dont know if anyone goes to this page anymore for help but! i need some
    i havetutorial plzz help
    apache_2.0.50-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi
    and i have
    PHP 5.0.0 zip package
    i tryed to combine them but as usual the code somehow doesnt work here it is
    LoadModule php5_module "c:/web/php/php5apache2.dll"
    it shows error cannot load module! whats hapenning! i cant understad it i am really tired. hopefuly someone answers soon!
    oh here link for it [tutorial]
  21. No Profile Picture

Smile

Guys,
    This is my first post and I have found the solution to this problem.See if u r using apache 2.x version and php5.x version then modify the php.ini file in the windows directory as follows

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
    LoadModule php5_module "C:/php/php5apache2_2.dll"
    SetEnv PHPRC C:/WINDOWS

This takes php5apache2_2.dll for apche 2.x version and phpapache2.dll for apache 1.3.x versions

Hope u guys understand.
    This worked perfectly fine for me.
  23. No Profile Picture

Possible Solution!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Folks,

I have searched the directory and found out the only file named as php5apache2 is .DSP instead of .DLL, maybe that's why it couldn't load???!!!!!!!!!

Vic.
  25. No Profile Picture

I hear the link is the solution for getting PHP to work with Apache, the link isn't working for me though. Any suggestions? I'm one of the frustrated kids who has spent days trying to get it to work and can't do it.

*edit* Forgot to look at the date...that's why it doesn't work.
  27. No Profile Picture

I followed the steps on this site and it works very fine for me. No problems with PHP and Apcahe

php-apacheDOTblogspotDOTcom

replace DOT by .
  29. No Profile Picture

Solution:
    I only have the solution for those who installed using the windows installer version. Because u install PHP while Apache server is running.

Steps:
    1)shut down ur apache server.
    START>APACHE HTTP Server 2.2>Control Apache Server> STOP
    2)reinstall php installer
    3)edit your httpd.conf accordingly
    4)start your apache server

thats it, it works now

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo