1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Trying to point subdomain to different local IP

So I've got an interesting little setup that I'm trying to accomplish. I've got a virtual wordpress appliance and a virtual development lamp stack that I run and regularly work on. My domain,roguishcode.com, resolves to my wordpress appliance because port 80 on my router forwards there. I also have port 99 forwarded to port 80 on my devlamp so that it is accessible to me via anywhere (very nice because I use dropbox to automatically update the directory apache serves out of, making working on projects smooth).

What I'd like is to be able to have dev.roguishcode.com resolve to my devlamp. With some searching, it seems like Apache can do this with reverse proxy, but I'm by no means an Apache expert. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if I'm going in the wrong direction, a point towards the correct path would be appreciated even more.
  3. mod_dev_shed
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

With the proper VirtualHost setup (a ServerAlias of *.roguishcode.com) and shared between dev and production, you should be able to get to dev by pointing all domains to your IP address and specifying the port when you want to access your dev environment.
    # Jeremy

Explain your problem instead of asking how to do what you decided was the solution.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo