1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I know that
    'PHP can be installed as a Apache Module ie. --with-apache option' or
    'PHP can be installed as a loadable module of Apache ie. --with-apxs option'
    But what exactly do they mean, and what are their differences.
    I plan to install tarballs in the following order:
    1) MySQL
    2) Apache
    3) PHP

I also recollect that the latest Apache version has a option of --with-php in it. What will it do if i use it.(does that mean i dont need to install PHP)

I have gone through many docs. but they tend to be confusing.
    please suggest me a good method with possible options.
    If possible please enumerate on the --with-apxs and --with-apache options. I would like to know exactly what they mean.???

thanx

duke.
  3. No Profile Picture
    freebsd
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)
    >>But what exactly do they mean, and what are their differences.
    Read this: http://www.apache.org/docs/dso.html

>>I also recollect that the latest Apache version has a option of --with-php in it

AFAIK, there is no such option. If you insist there is such an option, post the exact URL to such file here.

>>I would like to know exactly what they mean.???
    --with-apxs is easier to install. Let's not talk about PHP, assuming you already have apache and PHP installed but you find additional modules you would like to install, in the old days of Apache, you had to place the modules preferably in 'src/modules' directory of apache source tree and use --activate-module=src/modules/xxx/mod_xxx.c and REBUILD apache (reinstall) so to make apache to link to this module. Keep in mind, there are tons of modules out there, would you rather REBUILD apache everytime or use 'apxs' without rebuilding?

############################################
    LoadModule dtcl_module libexec/mod_dtcl.so
    LoadModule PyApache_module libexec/mod_pyapache.so
    LoadModule perl_module libexec/libperl.so
    LoadModule php3_module libexec/libphp3.so
    LoadModule php4_module libexec/libphp4.so
    LoadModule jserv_module libexec/mod_jserv.so

This looks ugly isn't it? I used --with-apxs for all of them. Imagine these 6 modules alone, would you rather rebuild Apache 6 times?
    There is a file called apache-contrib-1.0.8.tar.gz which has 27 modules in it, should you use '--apxs', it makes life alot easier.

Please take action and install them at this time. Take a try immediately and do not waste further time asking 'what does it do?'.

Don't forget to check out this page: http://www.devshed.com/Talk/Forums/F...ML/000020.html

Good Luck!!

[This message has been edited by freebsd (edited May 30, 2000).]

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo