1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Apache linux permissions/owners

Hi all,

I'm playing with Apache on my home computer running Slackware. It's not a production environment but still I'd like to get correct ownership/permissions. I'd like to be able to add/modify files as a standard user. The root directory is in:
    Code:
    /srv/www/htdocs
    At the moment the default files (index.html) in there have the following ownership/permissions:

Code:
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root   44 Nov 20  2004 index.html
    What I'd have to change to be able to add/modify the files there as a standard user? I mean I know how to change it in linux. I just don't know what exactly to change? Shall I change the whole /src/www/htdocs to be owned by the standard user? Should I make it rw to everyone? What the best way of solving it?

Thank you?

Thank you
  3. They're coming to take me away

chmod would probably be set to 755 (rwxr-xr-x)

If the standard user is to have access to the whole dir, then give them ownership. Otherwise, give them access to the files they do have access to.

Generally, a standard user would be given there own folder and have ownership of the folder (and all files within) created for them.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by hiker
    chmod would probably be set to 755 (rwxr-xr-x)

If the standard user is to have access to the whole dir, then give them ownership. Otherwise, give them access to the files they do have access to.

Generally, a standard user would be given there own folder and have ownership of the folder (and all files within) created for them.
    Thanks.

I did
    Code:
    chmod -R 755 htdocs
    chown -R portia.users htdocs

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo