1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I am gonna be putting up a co-located server soon to hopefully make some extra income. I already for 10 ppl lined up :-)

Anyhow, when I create each webspace for my customers, how do I go about setting up
    CGI-BIN on the server. I assume I make
    a CGI-BIN directory in each user's webspace
    with the appropriate permissions? Is this correct. If not can someone give me some inforamtion.

thanks alot

tooljob
  3. No Profile Picture
    freebsd
    I don't know what OS you will be using. For FreeBSD, there is a "adduser" command. When you first run it, it will create /etc/adduser.conf. It will also ask if you want to copy dot files from /usr/share/skel.

If you run Linux, check and see if /usr/share/skel directory exists. If so, anything within it will be copied to user's home dir. That said, if you place public_html directory and cgi-bin within public_html under /usr/share/skel:
    /usr/share/skel/public_html
    /usr/share/skel/public_html/cgi-bin
    the directories will be setup automatically, you don't need to create them manually. The permission drwxr-xr-x (755) for both dirs should be fine, too.

>>how do I go about setting up CGI-BIN on the server

In your httpd.conf, you need to specifically enable ExecCGI or ScriptAlias under user's cgi-bin of the home directory. Otherwise, CGI can be executed from anywhere if you set "options All" under <Directory /home/*/public_html>
  5. No Profile Picture

FreeBSD,

I really appreciate the information alot!

Hey, how is FreeBSD? I never used it, compared to Linux how does it compare as
    a webserver?

ToolJob

7. No Profile Picture
    freebsd
    >>compared to Linux how does it compare as
    a webserver?

Check this out -> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall...6/yahoobsd.htm

Assuming you are asking for overall networking performance, FreeBSD is better than Linux with scalability, stability, security and reliability, it just outperform Linux all the way. Many popular software such as Apache and Sendmail were developed on FreeBSD and they can be optimized when running on FreeBSD. Linux is simply no match.

Many servers out there are running Solaris and people often think Solaris is better than FreeBSD in networking environment, this could be both true and false. I haven't tried Solaris myself, but many say Solaris runs great only with expensive hardware and not very well on i386. Benchmarking the performance of FreeBSD and Solaris with the same non-expensive hardware, I am sure FreeBSD beats Solaris, no question about it.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

heheh that must be a way old article

very cool though

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo