1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

In a place that's larger than a breadbox but smaller than the moon.

Unchangeable 301 redirect

I have a domain from my job that I want to point to a subfolder on my web host. DNS is taken care of. I want my new domain to point to "schoolwork/utes" which is in my public_html folder so that the URL is always includes the new domain. I don't want my students to see my personal/private domain name.

I set up a 301 redirect but it would only direct me to the schoolwork folder, never the utes folder inside.

In trying to fix it, I seem to have locked it forever. No amount of changing the file, emptying my browser cache or refreshing the page seems to dislodge this redirect (which still points to the wrong folder) I don't have the option of restarting Apache as it is not my server and my host does not provide tech support for .htaccess

I've tried visiting the new URL on different computers. I tried deleting my .htaccess file entirely and it still won't stop sending me to the wrong folder. It's really frustrating. Can any of you help?
  3. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Your browser remembers it. Try clearing your browser's caches.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by requinix
    Your browser remembers it. Try clearing your browser's caches.
    I did that so many times already. Even visited the site on computers that had not been there before after deleting the .htaccess file. The redirect still stands
  7. Transforming Moderator

Then you haven't completely removed the redirect. If you put random junk in your .htaccess do you get a 500 error?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by requinix
    Then you haven't completely removed the redirect. If you put random junk in your .htaccess do you get a 500 error?
    Yup. The mighty redirect laughs at all my attempts to break it just to see if it will respond. Currently the file is blank. I also checked every other .htaccess file on my entire website. They are all blank.
  11. Transforming Moderator

Double-check the access logs to make sure you're (a) sending a request and (b) the response is a redirect.

Try a new redirect: same place, different location. If that changes things, remove the redirect and see if it keeps doing the new action. Then try redirecting to "-" (just a hyphen), which actually tells mod_rewrite to not do any redirecting at all.

And throw in an [L] flag too for good measure.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo