1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Site not accessible for external users

Hi,
    I'm quite new to apache and i've run into a problem... maybe someone can help me out....

I've installed apache2, php5 and mysql on a machine with ubuntu 10.04 (machine's ip is: 192.168.1.98 ). I've created a simple html page in "/var/www" with a simple text "site will be available soon". The page can be viewed from all the machines in the same LAN as my machine: 192.168.1.xxx.

I wish to make this page available from outside the LAN. Our network admin told me he made all the neccessary adjustments (i think port forwarding) so that anyone who tries to access our main IP 99.xxx.xxx.xxx (we do not have a domain name yet) will see that page. However nothing works and i was told that it's an apache config issue.
    The apache config files were not modified in any way.

Can you give me some ideas about what can be wrong?

Thank you!
  3. They're coming to take me away

Have you gone through the httpd.conf file to verify all the info is correct?

There are various directives that may or may not be correct especially if you didn't make any changes.

The directory for the files it's serving for instance...
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  5. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

What happens when you try to access it from outside the LAN.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  7. No Profile Picture

Thank you for the replies!

@hiker: my httpd.conf is empty, however, i have an apache2.conf file. ServerRoot is set to "/var/www" and there is an include function for a file "/sites-available/default". I've modified this file using some examples i've found on google, but i had no luck.

@E-Oreo: when i try to access it from outside the LAN, i get different messages, based on the browser i am using:
    - Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
    - Google Chrome could not connect to 99.xxx.xxx.xxx
    - Mozilla: The server at 99.xxx.xxx.xxx is taking too long to respond.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Check your firewall. And if by "outside your lan" you mean outside your site, make sure your isp doesn't block port 80
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  11. No Profile Picture

@Doug G: i think that might be the case. I've asked my network admin to change the port from 80 to 8080 and all works fine now.

Thank you all for the help!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo