1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Apache Rewrite Not Working

I am trying to make some of the site URLs SEO friendly, so {domain}/watches/collection/casio should be internally redirected to {domain}/watches/collection.list?brand=Casio

I have added the following line in httpd.conf file and restarted Apache but the request doesn't get redirected.

RewriteRule ^watches/collection/casio/?$ watches/collection.list?brand=Casio [NC,L]
    Please note that I was able to add some Rewrite rules in my httpd.conf file which appends www and change the domain from .co.in to .com and both these changes are working fine, so I know the basics are all set up correctly, for example mod_jk is loaded etc.

Please help!
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

This should not go in the httpd.conf. That's for the entire server setup. URL rewriting goes in the virtualhost configuration or a .htaccess.

Do you intend to put a rewriting rule for every single brand? I sure hope not. Can collection.list work with brand=casio (ie, lowercase)? Because "casio" is what's in your URL, not "Casio".
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    This should not go in the httpd.conf. That's for the entire server setup. URL rewriting goes in the virtualhost configuration or a .htaccess.

Do you intend to put a rewriting rule for every single brand? I sure hope not. Can collection.list work with brand=casio (ie, lowercase)? Because "casio" is what's in your URL, not "Casio".
    My virtual hosts are defined inside httpd.conf file and I have defined the RewriteRules inside virtual hosts itself, instead of htaccess file for performance issues.

Also, I am sure "Casio" works fine in the URL as the underlying controller handles such requests case-insensitively.
  7. Did you steal it?

Eh, fair enough. I didn't consider that.

The URL that RewriteRule matches against sometimes starts with a slash. Adding in some capturing-ness for "casio" you can
    Code:
    RewriteRule ^/?watches/collection/([^/]+)/?$ watches/collection.list?brand=$1 [NC,L]
    Does put the onus on collection.list to do a 404 (or a redirect) if the brand doesn't exist.
  9. No Profile Picture

Eh, fair enough. I didn't consider that.

The URL that RewriteRule matches against sometimes starts with a slash. Adding in some capturing-ness for "casio" you can
    Code:
    RewriteRule ^/?watches/collection/([^/]+)/?$ watches/collection.list?brand=$1 [NC,L]
    Does put the onus on collection.list to do a 404 (or a redirect) if the brand doesn't exist.
    Thanks. Tried this too but still no luck. Even tried changing the order of the rules but that's no good either. I am losing the will to live now!
  11. Did you steal it?

You are restarting Apache after all these changes, right?
  13. No Profile Picture

You are restarting Apache after all these changes, right?
    Yes, I am
  15. Did you steal it?

Okay, let's start at the top.

Try a simpler
    Code:
    RewriteRule watches watches/collection.list?brand=casio [NC,L]
    With that, every URL containing "watches" anywhere should go to the Casio page. Does that happen?

And in case there's something else going on, what's the rest of the httpd.conf? Just the stuff related to the site itself, not the whole configuration.
  17. No Profile Picture

Okay, let's start at the top.

Try a simpler
    Code:
    RewriteRule watches watches/collection.list?brand=casio [NC,L]
    With that, every URL containing "watches" anywhere should go to the Casio page. Does that happen?

And in case there's something else going on, what's the rest of the httpd.conf? Just the stuff related to the site itself, not the whole configuration.
    I like this approach... starting from the simplest! Well, I tried this but that didn't work either, but I got an apache error this time, so I guess mod_jk is not doing its job correctly when these redirects. I will post the httpd conf later tonight when I will be working on this issue, as I can only play around with this during off-peak hours Thanks
  19. No Profile Picture

After a bit of more playing around, I get a following error when I try to hit /watches/collection/casio

Code:
    Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.23 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.23 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_jk/1.2.35 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 Server at www.bazaardelight.com Port 80
    The complete httpd.conf is as below

Code:
    Include "/usr/local/apache/conf/includes/pre_main_global.conf"
    Include "/usr/local/apache/conf/includes/pre_main_2.conf"
    # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
    #   Direct modifications to the Apache configuration file may be lost upon subsequent regeneration of the       #
    #   configuration file. To have modifications retained, all modifications must be checked into the              #
    #   configuration system by running:                                                                            #
    #       /usr/local/cpanel/bin/apache_conf_distiller --update                                                    #
    #   To see if your changes will be conserved, regenerate the Apache configuration file by running:              #
    #       /usr/local/cpanel/bin/build_apache_conf                                                                 #
    #   and check the configuration file for your alterations. If your changes have been ignored, then they will    #
    #   need to be added directly to their respective template files.                                               #
    #                                                                                                               #
    #   It is also possible to add custom directives to the various "Include" files loaded by this httpd.conf       #
    #   For detailed instructions on using Include files and the apache_conf_distiller with the new configuration   #
    #   system refer to the documentation at: http://www.cpanel.net/support/docs/ea/ea3/customdirectives.html       #
    #                                                                                                               #
    #   This configuration file was built from the following templates:                                             #
    #     /var/cpanel/templates/apache2/main.default                                                                #
    #     /var/cpanel/templates/apache2/main.local                                                                  #
    #     /var/cpanel/templates/apache2/vhost.default                                                               #
    #     /var/cpanel/templates/apache2/vhost.local                                                                 #
    #     /var/cpanel/templates/apache2/ssl_vhost.default                                                           #
    #     /var/cpanel/templates/apache2/ssl_vhost.local                                                             #
    #  Templates with the '.local' extension will be preferred over templates with the '.default' extension.        #
    #  The only template updated by the apache_conf_distiller is main.default.                                      #
    # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

LoadModule jk_module modules/mod_jk.so
    LoadModule frontpage_module modules/mod_frontpage.so
    LoadModule bwlimited_module modules/mod_bwlimited.so
    LoadModule auth_passthrough_module modules/mod_auth_passthrough.so

Include "/usr/local/apache/conf/jk.conf"
    Include "/usr/local/apache/conf/php.conf"
    Include "/usr/local/apache/conf/includes/errordocument.conf"

ErrorLog "logs/error_log"
    DefaultType text/plain
    ScriptAliasMatch ^/?controlpanel/?$ /usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/redirect.cgi
    ScriptAliasMatch ^/?cpanel/?$ /usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/redirect.cgi
    ScriptAliasMatch ^/?kpanel/?$ /usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/redirect.cgi
    ScriptAliasMatch ^/?securecontrolpanel/?$ /usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/sredirect.cgi
    ScriptAliasMatch ^/?securecpanel/?$ /usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/sredirect.cgi
    ScriptAliasMatch ^/?securewhm/?$ /usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/swhmredirect.cgi
    ScriptAliasMatch ^/?webmail/?$ /usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/wredirect.cgi
    ScriptAliasMatch ^/?whm/?$ /usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/whmredirect.cgi

Alias /akopia /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/interchange/share/akopia/
    Alias /bandwidth /usr/local/bandmin/htdocs/
    Alias /img-sys /usr/local/cpanel/img-sys/
    Alias /interchange /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/interchange/share/interchange/
    Alias /interchange-5 /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/interchange/share/interchange-5/
    Alias /java-sys /usr/local/cpanel/java-sys/
    Alias /mailman/archives /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/public/
    Alias /pipermail /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/public/
    Alias /sys_cpanel /usr/local/cpanel/sys_cpanel/

ScriptAlias /cgi-sys /usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/
    ScriptAlias /mailman /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cgi-bin/

<Directory "/">
        Options All
        AllowOverride All
    </Directory>

<Directory "/usr/local/apache/htdocs">
        Options Includes Indexes FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride None
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all

</Directory>

<Files ~ "^error_log$">
        Order allow,deny
        Deny from all
        Satisfy All
    </Files>

<FilesMatch "^\.ht">
        Order allow,deny
        Deny from all

Satisfy All
    </FilesMatch>

<IfModule log_config_module>
        LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\"" combined
        LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b" common

CustomLog "logs/access_log" common

<IfModule logio_module>
            LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\" %I %O" combinedio

</IfModule>

</IfModule>

<IfModule alias_module>
        ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/usr/local/apache/cgi-bin/"

</IfModule>

<Directory "/usr/local/apache/cgi-bin">
        AllowOverride None
        Options None
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all

</Directory>

<IfModule mod_log_config.c>
        LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\"" combined
        LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b" common
        LogFormat "%{Referer}i -> %U" referer
        LogFormat "%{User-agent}i" agent

CustomLog logs/access_log common

</IfModule>

<IfModule mime_module>
        TypesConfig conf/mime.types
        AddType application/x-compress .Z
        AddType application/x-gzip .gz .tgz

</IfModule>

#   Direct modifications to the Apache configuration file may be lost upon subsequent regeneration of the       #
    #   configuration file. To have modifications retained, all modifications must be checked into the              #
    #   configuration system by running:                                                                            #
    #       /usr/local/cpanel/bin/apache_conf_distiller --update                                                    #
    #   To see if your changes will be conserved, regenerate the Apache configuration file by running:              #
    #       /usr/local/cpanel/bin/build_apache_conf                                                                 #
    #   and check the configuration file for your alterations. If your changes have been ignored, then they will    #
    #   need to be added directly to their respective template files.                                               #
    #   It is also possible to add custom directives to the various "Include" files loaded by this httpd.conf       #
    #   For detailed instructions on using Include files and the apache_conf_distiller with the new configuration   #
    #   system refer to the documentation at: http://www.cpanel.net/support/docs/ea/ea3/customdirectives.html       #
    #   This configuration file was built from the following templates:                                             #
    #     /var/cpanel/templates/apache2/main.default                                                                #
    #     /var/cpanel/templates/apache2/main.local                                                                  #
    #     /var/cpanel/templates/apache2/vhost.default                                                               #
    #     /var/cpanel/templates/apache2/vhost.local                                                                 #
    #     /var/cpanel/templates/apache2/ssl_vhost.default                                                           #
    #     /var/cpanel/templates/apache2/ssl_vhost.local                                                             #
    #  Templates with the '.local' extension will be preferred over templates with the '.default' extension.        #
    #  The only template updated by the apache_conf_distiller is main.default.                                      #

PidFile logs/httpd.pid
    LockFile logs/accept.lock
    # Defined in /var/cpanel/cpanel.config: apache_port
    Listen 0.0.0.0:80
    User deploy
    Group users
    ExtendedStatus On
    ServerAdmin arvind@email.com
    ServerName host.email.com
    LogLevel warn

# These can be set in WHM under 'Apache Global Configuration'
    Timeout 300

ServerSignature On

<IfModule prefork.c>

</IfModule>

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteMap LeechProtect prg:/usr/local/cpanel/bin/leechprotect
    RewriteLock /usr/local/apache/logs/rewrite_lock

UserDir public_html

# DirectoryIndex is set via the WHM -> Service Configuration -> Apache Setup -> DirectoryIndex Priority
    DirectoryIndex index.html.var index.htm index.html index.shtml index.xhtml index.wml index.perl index.pl index.plx index.ppl index.cgi index.jsp index.js index.jp index.php4 index.php3 index.php index.phtml default.htm default.html home.htm index.php5 Default.html Default.htm home.html

# SSLCipherSuite can be set in WHM under 'Apache Global Configuration'

SSLPassPhraseDialog  builtin
    SSLSessionCache         dbm:/usr/local/apache/logs/ssl_scache
    SSLSessionCacheTimeout  300
    SSLMutex  file:/usr/local/apache/logs/ssl_mutex
    SSLRandomSeed startup builtin
    SSLRandomSeed connect builtin

# Defined in /var/cpanel/cpanel.config: apache_ssl_port
        Listen 0.0.0.0:443
        AddType application/x-x509-ca-cert .crt
        AddType application/x-pkcs7-crl .crl

AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl .plx .ppl .perl
    AddHandler server-parsed .shtml
    AddType text/html .shtml
    AddType application/x-tar .tgz
    AddType text/vnd.wap.wml .wml
    AddType image/vnd.wap.wbmp .wbmp
    AddType text/vnd.wap.wmlscript .wmls
    AddType application/vnd.wap.wmlc .wmlc
    AddType application/vnd.wap.wmlscriptc .wmlsc

<Location /whm-server-status>
        SetHandler server-status
        Order deny,allow
        Deny from all
        Allow from 127.0.0.1
    </Location>

# SUEXEC is supported

Include "/usr/local/apache/conf/includes/pre_virtualhost_global.conf"
    Include "/usr/local/apache/conf/includes/pre_virtualhost_2.conf"

# DO NOT EDIT. AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED.  IF YOU NEED TO MAKE A CHANGE PLEASE USE THE INCLUDE FILES.
    NameVirtualHost 171.21.218.918:80
    NameVirtualHost 171.21.218.920:80
    NameVirtualHost *
    # DO NOT EDIT. AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED.  IF YOU NEED TO MAKE A CHANGE PLEASE USE THE INCLUDE FILES.

<VirtualHost 171.21.218.918:80>
        DocumentRoot /usr/local/apache/htdocs
        <IfModule mod_suphp.c>
            suPHP_UserGroup deploy users
        </IfModule>
    </VirtualHost>

# Default vhost for unbound IPs

<VirtualHost *>
        <IfModule mod_suphp.c>
        </IfModule>
    </VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 171.21.218.918:80>
        ServerName domain.co.in
        ServerAlias www.domain.co.in
        DocumentRoot /home/deploy/codebase
        ServerAdmin webmaster@domain.co.in
        UseCanonicalName Off
        Options -ExecCGI -Includes
        RemoveHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl .plx .ppl .perl
        CustomLog /usr/local/apache/domlogs/domain.co.in combined
        CustomLog /usr/local/apache/domlogs/domain.co.in-bytes_log "%{%s}t %I .\n%{%s}t %O ."
        ## User saurabhji # Needed for Cpanel::ApacheConf
        <IfModule mod_suphp.c>
            suPHP_UserGroup saurabhji saurabhji
        </IfModule>
        <IfModule !mod_disable_suexec.c>
            <IfModule !mod_ruid2.c>
                SuexecUserGroup saurabhji saurabhji
            </IfModule>
        </IfModule>
        <IfModule mod_ruid2.c>
            RUidGid saurabhji saurabhji
        </IfModule>

#  Include "/usr/local/apache/conf/userdata/*.conf"  
      JkMount /* ajp12
      JkMount /* ajp13
      JkMount /*.jsp ajp12
      JkMount /*.jsp ajp13
    #  Include "/usr/local/apache/conf/userdata/*.owner-root"

RewriteEngine on

#    RewriteRule watches watches/collection.list?brand=Casio [NC,L]

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^domain\.com
        RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://www.domain.com$1 [R=permanent,L]

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www.domain.com$ [NC] 
        RewriteRule   (.*)         http://www.domain.com/$1  [L,R=301]

# To customize this VirtualHost use an include file at the following location
        # Include "/usr/local/apache/conf/userdata/std/2/saurabhji/domain.co.in/*.conf"

</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 171.21.218.920:80>
        ServerName domain.com
        ServerAlias www.domain.com
        DocumentRoot /home/deploy/codebase
       # DocumentRoot /home/deploy/
       #  DocumentRoot /home/shopx/public_html
        ServerAdmin webmaster@domain.com
        UseCanonicalName Off
        CustomLog /usr/local/apache/domlogs/domain.com combined
        CustomLog /usr/local/apache/domlogs/domain.com-bytes_log "%{%s}t %I .\n%{%s}t %O ."
        ## User shopx # Needed for Cpanel::ApacheConf
        <IfModule mod_suphp.c>
            suPHP_UserGroup shopx shopx
        </IfModule>
            <IfModule !mod_ruid2.c>
                SuexecUserGroup shopx shopx
            </IfModule>
        </IfModule>
        <IfModule mod_ruid2.c>
            RUidGid shopx shopx
        </IfModule>
        ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/deploy/codebase/cgi-bin/

# Include "/usr/local/apache/conf/userdata/*.conf"  
      JkMount /* ajp12
      JkMount /* ajp13
      JkMount /*.jsp ajp12
      JkMount /*.jsp ajp13
      #Include "/usr/local/apache/conf/userdata/*.owner-root"

RewriteEngine on

#  RewriteRule watches watches/collection.list?brand=Casio [NC,L]

RewriteRule   (.*)         http://www.domain.com/$1  [L,R=301]

Include "/usr/local/apache/conf/userdata/std/2/shopx/domain.com/*.conf"
    </VirtualHost>

# SSL
    <VirtualHost 171.21.218.920:443>
        ServerName domain.com
        ServerAlias www.domain.com
       # ServerAlias domain.co.in
        #ServerAlias www.domain.co.in

# START DO NOT DELETE
      DocumentRoot  /home/shopx/public_html

#    DocumentRoot /home/deploy/public_html
        # END DO NOT DELETE

ErrorLog /usr/local/apache/logs/ssl_error.log
        TransferLog /usr/local/apache/logs/ssl_access.log

SSLEngine On
        SSLCertificateFile /usr/local/apache/conf/ssl.crt/www.domain.com.crt
        SSLCertificateChainFile /usr/local/apache/conf/ssl.crt/www.domain.com.ca.crt
        SSLCertificateKeyFile /usr/local/apache/conf/ssl.key/www.domain.com.key

# Fixes the Intermittant Server Errors associated with some versions of Windows Internet Explorer
        SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

# START DO NOT DELETE
        JkMount /* ajp13secure
        JkMount /*.category ajp13secure
        JkMount /*.secure ajp13secure

RewriteEngine on

#RewriteRule ^watches/collection/([^/]+)/?$ watches/collection.list?brand=$1 [NC,L]

RewriteRule   (.*)         https://www.domain.com/$1  [L,R=301]

# END DO NOT DELETE
        </IfModule>
    </VirtualHost>            

# SSL
    <VirtualHost 171.21.218.918:443>
        ServerName domain.co.in
        ServerAlias www.domain.co.in
       # ServerAlias domain.co.in
        #ServerAlias www.domain.co.in

# START DO NOT DELETE
      DocumentRoot  /home/shopx/public_html

#    DocumentRoot /home/deploy/public_html
        # END DO NOT DELETE

ErrorLog /usr/local/apache/logs/ssl_error.log
        TransferLog /usr/local/apache/logs/ssl_access.log

SSLEngine On
        SSLCertificateFile /usr/local/apache/conf/ssl.crt/www.domain.com.crt
        SSLCertificateChainFile /usr/local/apache/conf/ssl.crt/www.domain.com.ca.crt
        SSLCertificateKeyFile /usr/local/apache/conf/ssl.key/www.domain.com.key

# Fixes the Intermittant Server Errors associated with some versions of Windows Internet Explorer
        SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

# START DO NOT DELETE
        JkMount /* ajp13secure
        JkMount /*.category ajp13secure
        JkMount /*.secure ajp13secure

RewriteEngine on

#RewriteRule ^watches/collection/([^/]+)/?$ watches/collection.list?brand=$1 [NC,L]

RewriteRule   (.*)         https://www.domain.com/$1  [L,R=301]

# END DO NOT DELETE
        </IfModule>
    </VirtualHost>            

# CPANEL/WHM/WEBMAIL/WEBDISK PROXY SUBDOMAINS
    <VirtualHost * 171.21.218.918:80 171.21.218.920:80>
        ServerAlias cpanel.* whm.* webmail.* webdisk.*
        <IfModule mod_suphp.c>
        </IfModule>
        RewriteEngine On
        <IfModule core.c>
            SSLProxyEngine On