1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

allow someone to edit a form

Hi

I have a form which I would like to allow a customer to edit/update. I need to populate the text boxes with retrieved data and then allow customer to select 'update' button. I can't figure out the syntax to place the retrieved value within an input box.

I have this so far, which obviously doesn't work - double quotes etc. Tried double and single quotes but no value appears.
    Also tried placing retrieved value within variable, but didn';t work either.

<input type="text" name="FirstName" value="<%=rsdetails("FirstName")%>"

Sure it's very simple..
    Thanks!
    Lee
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

The first thing you must do is, like you say, retrieve the data that you need(the ones that'll go into the <textboxes>.
    In order to do that, you'll have to create and SQL Query.

Now since your SQL Query will look something like:
    (I'm assuming it's gonna look like that)

SELECT Field1, Field2, ...
    FROM MyTable
    WHERE someID = 19

The 19 here is only an example of a uniqueID.

You do understand that Query *should* only bring back *one* record right?

If that's the case then you don't need to/won't have to *loop* inside your recordset right? (because you only have one record)

Now because of this, I strongly recommand putting the data from that *one* record into variables. Only then use these variables to put inside your <form>...</form>.

So...this is an example of the top of my head, it is NOT tested but should give you an idea:

Download the attach file I've sent, all the code is in there and it should be trivial...

Hope this helps!
    Sincerely

Vlince
    Attached Files

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo