Thread: New to ASP

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thumbs up New to ASP

I am new to ASP. Could you help me in finding a good site to learn it from basic.

I have some knowledge in JSP, do ASP have a Translator like JSP ??

VIJAY
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ASP is primarily implemented on Microsofts Webservers ie. IIS or PWS (Internet Information Server or Personal Web Server)

Which are available for most windows operating systems.
    IIS is more industrial strength than PWS although not all windows versions can run IIS most can run PWS. Windows XP Home edition does not run IIS without some major tinkering.
    IIS come with windows NT as a service pack I think but comes built in to windows 2000 server. If you have windows 2000 workstation or win95/98 you can download a version that works for you from the microsoft website.

The only major contender to the IIS is from chilli soft who do a UNIX version of ASP. http://www.chilisoft.com/ although I have seen some simple clones.

ASP can use either JScript or VBScript to program in, and surposed other languages can be plugged in.

The best place to start is look at the documentation at chillisoft and at http://www.microsoft.com/scripting where there is plenty of Jscript and VBScript documentation.
    --

ngibsonau
  5. No Profile Picture

There are a lot of site for fundas

There are a lot of sites for fundas ....

Well to begin with why don't you go thru

http://www.w3schools.com/asp/

This is simple one with simple examples ... get the basics from this site and then jump into the swiming pool ... i am sure u will learn swiming soon...

Wish you all the best ...

Regards
    Sanil
  7. No Profile Picture

I am new to ASP also. I have been a PHP programmer for the past 2 years ... but with a new job at a different company comes the task of learning a new language!

There seems to be a lot of similarities between the two but I am coming across some things that were really cool with PHP that are not available with ASP (such as phpinfo() and getimagesize()). I'm sure, in time, I'll come across some cool things with ASP that are not available with PHP.

Best of luck to you. I registered for this forum so that I could interact with those of you who are just learning. Perhaps we could compare notes about we have learned so far.
  9. No Profile Picture

I have attached a VBScript Language Reference Windows help file that you might find useful while learning ASP. If you are new to programming (and even if you aren't), I would suggest that you take a peak at some ASP books at your local book store. There are a lot of books out there that will walk you through step-by-step how to do things with ASP.

Since I am just learning ASP myself, I am not in a position really to recommend a book. But I would recommend that you browse through the books at your local book store and see what looks good for your level of programming and learning.

(** edit ... this forum won't allow me to upload a *.CHM file so I'm going to see if I can find the file somewhere on the 'net)
  11. No Profile Picture

Unhappy

Hm ... no luck finding the file. Perhaps try doing a search on google for "ASP VBS .CHM" to find Windows help files for ASP and VBS.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo