1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What are the differences between the ASP languages?

I hear many terms related to ASP-
    ASP.NET
    ASP
    .NET
    DotNet
    and I think some more.

I would assume .NET and DotNet are the same.

I am an experience web developer with a background in PHP/JSP.

What are the differences, purposes, open/closed-sourceness, and syntax styles of all the above, and any of their neighbors I didn't mention?
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

I suggest you take a look at following pages:
    http://www.microsoft.com/net/
    http://www.asp.net/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASP.NET
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Server_Pages
  5. No Profile Picture

ASP.NET is the latest version provided by the Microsoft.But you can't say that it is the updated version of .net. Both of these are totally different from each other.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

ASP is not a language. Unlike php which is both a web server framework and a language, asp refers to a web server framework supporting different languages. "Classic" asp refers to older style asp framework using various scripting languages. asp.NET refers to newer style web code based on the Microsoft NET framework.

asp.NET offers C# and VB as primary coding languages.

classic asp supports server-side vbscript, javascript, perlscript and a couple other lesser-known custom scripting languages.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  9. No Profile Picture

An Active Server Page (ASP) is an HTML page that includes one or more scripts that are processed on a Microsoft Web server before the page is sent to the user.
    ASP is a feature of the Microsoft IIS.

For Web service applications, Microsoft provides a latest version of ASP support called ASP.NET.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Major difference: Classic ASP is Interpreted. ASP.NET is Compiled. If code is changed, ASP.NET recompiles, otherwise does'nt.
    And ASP works with VB as the language. ASP.NET works with VB.NET & C# as the languages.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by diyaots
    Major difference: Classic ASP is Interpreted. ASP.NET is Compiled. If code is changed, ASP.NET recompiles, otherwise does'nt.
    And ASP works with VB as the language. ASP.NET works with VB.NET & C# as the languages.
    This isn't correct. You can have a compiled asp application. VB is not a directly supported language in classic asp, however vbscript is.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  15. No Profile Picture

There is ASP classic, and ASP.NET. I personally don't like .net because of the markup it generates. I want control of what the server is generating.

ASP Classic is similar to PHP in that you have control of what the script is doing.
  17. No Profile Picture

An ASP.NET page is restricted to code written in a single programming language. Currently, ASP.NET supports Visual Basic, C#, and J#.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by kristy85
    There is ASP classic, and ASP.NET. I personally don't like .net because of the markup it generates. I want control of what the server is generating.

ASP Classic is similar to PHP in that you have control of what the script is doing.
    Great reason to prefer classic over .NET.

NOT.

Classic is a joke. It is interpreted/compiled. That's a big deal. You don't get an validation if you misspell a variable. Code re-use is much tougher.

Yes, .NET does generate some ugly code. You can use MVC if you don't like that, but complaining about the markup is ridiculous. You can work around that, but you can't work around the glaring weaknesses that is classic asp. ugh.
  21. No Profile Picture

I hear many terms related to ASP-
    ASP.NET
    ASP
    .NET
    DotNet
    and I think some more.

I would assume .NET and DotNet are the same.

I am an experience web developer with a background in PHP/JSP.

What are the differences, purposes, open/closed-sourceness, and syntax styles of all the above, and any of their neighbors I didn't mention?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo