1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What exatly is ASP?

The only things I know about ASP is what it stands for, and that it's a programming language.
    What I want to know, is what exactly can it do? What are it's capabilities? And if there is any other type of languages that are related to, or similiar to ASP. Please note that I'm not interested in becoming an ASP programmer (yet), but I just want to know these things for the sake of closure.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ASP is a SERVER SIDE scripting language. As opposed to javascript which would be client side. There are many things that you can use ASP for, one of of the might be connecting to a database. Another might be a shopping cart and checkout system on an ecommerce site. There are many other programming languages like it, php, coldfusion and jsp to name a few. Its really to large to just lump into a paragraph and say it can do this and that. There is so much that it can do that you can't properly describe it in just a paragraph.
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

This should get you going in the right direction....
    ASP Guide from Microsoft.com
  7. Web Developer

imbrokn, I think your post is a little misleading. ASP is not a language, it is an interface, similar to the Perl/CGI relationship. It is the way the server-side pages are processed by the IIS server (or PWS in the Win9x realm); JScript and VBScript are languages.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo