1. Web Developer
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Frontpage/ASP IIS connection question

My background is primarily the Linux/PHP route, so I am encountering some IIS problems with our school's course instructional server.

We have a Linux server and an IIS server, and for a specific project, they requested it to be in ASP, and the server admin would prefer us to use the IIS server, rather than Chilisoft, so its all good there.

However, I don't know how IIS works, so I don't know why this is: but I have to connect with Frontpage, and I can't use FTP or SSH. Is there a way around this? I dread using Frontpage.

I've asked him to install some type of FTP service on the server, but he said that he can't yet because then he would have to go through the politics of having the school's network admin running more tests on it to make sure it doesn't compromise anything.

So it seems I am either going to have to use Frontpage or find a way around this on my own. And I would prefer the latter foremost.

Any suggestions?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Can your server admin set you up with rights to modify the directory on the IIS?
    That way, you can create your files in whatever editor you like and simply 'drag and drop' your files into the IIS folder.

This would avoid setting up FTP to the server, thus no compromise to the network security.
    How can I soar like an eagle when
    I'm flying with turkey's?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo