Thread: Help me please

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy Help me please

Hi. I have a website that uses perl and switched to a different hosting company. After weeks of pulling teeth to get moved from a unix webserver to a microsoft one, I tell them that the extensive perl portion of my site isnt functioning. They said I need to use ASP instead.

Well of course I dont know anything about it and think it is unfair for me to have to completely redevelop my site becasue they dont want to put perl and microsoft on the same server.
    My last hosting company did it so I know it is possible. Meanwhile everytime somone clicks on this perl application nothing but script comes up (very unprofessional). Is it somthing really easy to implement or should I just forget about it?
    Any thoughts? Please help!!!!
    (Eschelon Telecom sucks, never use them for anything)
    Last edited by gramandit; May 15th, 2003 at 12:46 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Don't know any perl but made a quick search on net and found that they are quite similar in syntax.

I am sure you can find something on net about this..

I cannot search anymore, it is 2:30 at night here, [yaaawwwnn]gonna sleep...[/yaaawwwnn]
    Sweet smell of a great sorrow lies over the land. Plumes of smoke rise, merge into the leaden sky. A man lies and dreams of green fields and rivers, but awakes to a morning with no reason for waking. He's haunted by the memory of lost paradise. In his youth or dream, he can't be precise. He's chained forever to a world that's departed. It's not enough, it's not enough.
    Gilmour
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks a bunch.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If your just generating html from perl then you should be able to convert most of the code over to ASP/VBScript fairly easily. But if the scripts submit email, resize images, upload files or any other fancy stuff you will have a quite a bit of work cut out for you depending on the feature and size of your site. You may even need to purchase a third party component or compile an ActiveX dll in VB or C++ to get all the functionallity you had.

You may want to consider having the perl scripted bits hosted on a cheap webserver that you can use purely for your scripts and have your website spread across two webservers.

How many pages is your site and what does it do?
    --

ngibsonau
  9. No Profile Picture

Question Thanks for a response

My site is www.partsandpeople.com[URL=http://www.partsandpeople.com] and the non-functional perl script is http://www.partsandpeople.com/cgi-bi...classifieds.pl .
    It is just a post your own classifieds directory. Isn't there a patch or somthing my hosting company can put on the Windows server to allow perl to function?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm sure your provider could install perl if they really wanted, but the management cost be more than what is practicle
    --

ngibsonau

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo